Author Topic: What should I with this?  (Read 1891 times)

Buddie11

• View Profile
What should I with this?
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:02:42 pm »
Found this with metal detector,not sure if it is a coin. My thinking is a tab from junction box? My question is how to clean this without damaging whatever is under all the crap!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: What should I with this?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:40 pm »
hit it with a hammer....whatever,s underneath has already been damaged...and a whack wi a hammer...is,nt going to make it any worse.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:30:05 pm »
That's a little extreme bigwull:)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »
He is right !! Won`t hurt it anymore than it already is !! Looks to be some rust on it,,if so it isn`t likely a coin !! I have not seen a buried coin look like that !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:47:11 pm »
Try a magnet on it. If it's magnetic...probably not anything of value. (Or maybe, it could be something left by interplanetary travelers. ;D)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:33 am »

You never know~  But agree on the hammer bit.  It would be safer than an acid!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »
You may (or may not!) have a coin there. I've seen some ancient Roman coins with heavy corrosion like that can clean up well enough for identification. (That's a fun activity to do with kids by the way!) My mom picked up a coin like that on the beach and gave it to me, it turned out just to be a penny from the 1980s. So where it has been can affect the development of heavy corrosion. Here is a page with instructions for cleaning ancient coins that will apply to yours no matter what the age. Let us know what you find! http://www.romancoins.net/cleaning.htm
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 02:50:10 pm »
You may (or may not!) have a coin there. I've seen some ancient Roman coins with heavy corrosion like that can clean up well enough for identification. (That's a fun activity to do with kids by the way!) My mom picked up a coin like that on the beach and gave it to me, it turned out just to be a penny from the 1980s. So where it has been can affect the development of heavy corrosion. Here is a page with instructions for cleaning ancient coins that will apply to yours no matter what the age. Let us know what you find! http://www.romancoins.net/cleaning.htm
Roman??.....They were good....but not that good.......No chance of them getting over to your side... ;D...if in doubt whack it...that crud will fall off....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »
That's a little extreme bigwull:)

Not really if its laying flat on a hard surface !!  Will loosen the crud so you can lift it off !! You don`t hit it with that much muscle !! You lightly tap it  !!