Author Topic: What EXACTLY is this?  (Read 6232 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: What EXACTLY is this?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 07:10:38 pm »
Almost reminds me of something from a Depression era soup kitchen.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »
that was my initial thought...in my first post....i don,t see it being part of a stove...not with that hinged lid....any stoves i,ve seen and worked with..the hot water tank...is sealed..and water is drawn off via a tap..

I think it too big for a stove !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »
What does the inside look like? I thought maybe the back would fill up with hot water and keep food like buns warm.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 04:25:41 am »
Old time wood burning cast iron cook stoves had 3 ways of heating water and which evolved in the sequence of:

1st - the teakettle
2nd – built-in water reservoir
3rd – heat exchanger pipes in firebox connected to an external water storage tank.

The built-in water reservoir was usually an “option” that attached to the right-hand side of the oven and could be ordered/purchased with the stove.

Said cook stoves have an “oven heating” damper (flopper-do) that is situated across the top left corner of the oven (next to the firebox). When flipped to the “down” position it permits the hot air/smoke to flow across the top left-side of the oven compartment then up n’ out the flue pipe.

When flipped to the “up” position it forces the hot air/smoke to flow down the left-side of the oven compartment, then underneath it, then up the right-side of the oven compartment (and the left-side of covered “copper” water container), then back across the top of the oven compartment and then up n’ out the flue pipe.

Thus the wood burning cook stove had a “convection” baking oven. And like now days, if one is not going to do any baking then don’t turn the oven “on” by turning the flopper-do to the “up” position. And you DON'T try to start a fire in the firebox if the  flopper-do is in the “up” position.

Anyway, if the cook stove had a built-in water reservoir then the oven had to be turned “on” to heat the water. And because of the smoke, soot and ash said reservoir contained a covered “copper” container for the water. The water had to be poured into and dipper’ed out of said container.

The following picture is of the Magee Grand cook stove which I completely refurbished and enjoyed having for a few short years.

And this is a “link” to a different model Magee which has a “gas burner” option, to wit:

http://www.goodtimestove.com/component/virtuemart/current-inventory-of-all-antique-stoves-for-heating-cooking/current-inventory-of-all-kitchen-cook-stoves-for-sale/magee-grand-wood-coal-cook-range-with-a-gas-side-car-detail?Itemid=0

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 07:41:09 am »
all this conjecture....its this,that,....maybe if we got pics of the interior,and different views...we could then make a more informed guess....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

valmont325

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:09 am »
See Attached. Sorry it took so long.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 10:22:29 am »
from the looks of that bottom its been suspended over an open fire,..which indicates that it has been used as A....Boiler,B....Oven...

valmont325

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 11:36:48 am »
I have seen similar "Moonshine" type of equipment. But Never that big.    Do you think that's a possibility?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 01:03:51 pm »
i,m not too well clued in about moonshine...only moonshine i know is Belladonna ...think maybe Cogar...might know...he strikes me as the kinda guy that would know a thing or two about it..... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 04:02:00 pm »
Square containers with attached covers are not normally used for cooking.

And soldered joints really shouldn't be subjected to the direct heat or flames of an open fire.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 07:31:09 pm »
bump

Looking @ this item , I'd give a guess that it was used for a rather tidy & 'grown-up' version of a 'moonshine' still , valmont325 .

This copper pot is indeed like (in size & shape) many that were used for submersing the copper coil(s) of the output side of a boiler (with the 'goods' inside) .... I'd further guess that it was once fitted with a wooden 'plug' -in the protruding pipe- that would serve to separate the inlet & outlet side of the coils (to make it neat , tight & more functionally 'clean') .

I'd suggest looking real close @ the edges where the soldered portion (with the 'vent') is attached , so as to try to determine if this was machine-rolled , or hand-formed ... many folks were very adapt @ making stills & coppercraft (esp. in Franklin County , 1920's - 1930's) !

As with what cogar posted ... soldered-joint copper needs a fair bit of silver within the alloy of the solder to stay alloyed (bonded) , in the event that the copper item is used over heated burners , fire & etc . .... not impossible that yours was used/constructed in this manner , though !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "