Author Topic: Antique Schoolhouse lighting  (Read 3794 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Schoolhouse lighting
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 01:55:26 pm »
Very simple rewire job !!
So, who,s liable then...if a prospective buyer...plugs it in and gets zapped....after having asked...who wired it...and perhaps a porky or two was told..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:08:39 pm »
If a buyer sees an old electric wire on a fixture they are interested in they might offer half what you are asking for it !! It doesn`t take a rocket scientist to rewire one !! Trained monkey could do it !!
a Trained Monkey....Mmm!....like this one perhaps... ;D...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:00 pm »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 04:46:07 am »
you were saying cogar...... ;D

I was gonna say that electricians screw it, crimp it, grommet it, solder it, nut it, ….. not knot it. ;D ;D ;D ;D

UL has a check-list a mile long and if any on the list applies to your product then you best apply it or you won’t get a UL sticker for it. :D

HA, and just what purpose does this knot serve?

On a more serious note, most every company that produces electrical equipment/devices has a full-time engineer for dealing with UL requirements.

Anyway, every device that has a “pluggable” electric cord should have said cord “restrained” within the device to prevent the “user” from pulling the electrical connection apart resulting in a potential “short” (electrical shock, fire or tripped breaker). Thus when a large-enough knot is tied in a lamp cord it provides said “restraint”.

And ps: don't put a new lamp cord on (re-wire) without tying a knot in the cord on the inside of the "hole "where it enters the base of the lamp ..... or in the cord that is on the inside of the light socket itself. The cord for a multi-bulb lamp has to be restrained somewhere within the base of the lamp.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:01:11 am by cogar »