Author Topic: Curved glass buffet, can't find any info anywhere!  (Read 2457 times)

gump47371

• View Profile
Curved glass buffet, can't find any info anywhere!
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »
Hi, everyone. Just found this forum while I was looking for some information on a piece that a friend has from a family member's house.It is a buffet (I think that is the right word?) that is very unique in that it has a curved glass door in fron that pivots out toward the front. The glass is still intact.

Below that, there are two drawers that are felt lined, I'm assuming for silverware.

On the bottom, there are two doors with a glass design in them. As the close up shows, there is a piece that has come out, but the piece is still available. There is also a crack in one piece, but it hasn't fallen out.

It is a little rough, and would probably need restored to have much value. As one picture shows, the decoration (not sure what the term for it is) on top has some damage to it.

They are looking for a rough estimate  on the value. I am really just helping them find some information about it. They aren't sure of the origin, as the family member bought it at a garage sale when they were kids.

I appreciate any information that can be provided, and I can try to give more information. However, I was just home for the weekend, and live a few hours away from where it is located. I only got to look at it for a few mins, but can share what I remember. Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Curved glass buffet, can't find any info anywhere!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:15:53 pm »
As much as we like close up pics....we first need to see the piece in its entirety,... please take some more pics...but this time stand further back..so that you get it all in the frame,...also some pics of the joints, and ironmongery
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:43:34 pm »
from what little i can see of these in your face pics,...i,d say this is made of oak,..it looks like Tiger oak...age wise...early 20th century,..over in the UK we call this a sideboard...the leaded glass is a nice feature..as is the curved glass....and i,m glad to see that ,it s intact...as curved glass is very expensive to replace....value..o ver here is low...to give you an example of our low prices...this one sold in Aug2013....for £51

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:47:03 pm »
Here's a similar style piece:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10948915_american-oak-leaded-and-curved-glass-china-buffet
In my opinion, the prices on this type of furniture were at their high probably 20 years ago.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »
Its good to see that you took my advice ..when you went for the latest edition of that big book.....but did you know ..you, can probably get it on a memory stick.....save carrying all that extra weight jammed between yer buttocks...Well done you ....again.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »
Can`t see the feet or legs but with the damage to the veneer and carvings Value would not be as much as Rauvilles link !!  Early 20th century !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:16:43 pm »
Can`t see the feet or legs but with the damage to the veneer and carvings Value would not be as much as Rauvilles link !!  Early 20th century !!
you crease me up....LOL!!....can,t see its legs or tootsies...

gump47371

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:06:33 pm »
Appreciate the information thus far. It'll be a few weeks before I'm home again. I'll see if I can get someone to get me some more pics before that. 

Glad I found this forum. You guys really are knowledgeable! Thanks again!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »
That,s why this Forum...is like Sebastian Vettel....
                              The Big

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »
Like who ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:09 pm »
See that,s what you get for living in the boonies....& 4 days from anywhere...with the monthly stage passing by....The whole world knows who Sebastian Vettel is....he has just won the Formula 1 Championship for the 4th year in succession...he drives for these guys...and...at 26years of age...he is almost unbeatable...and his car number is 1

https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=sebastian+vettel&oq=sebastian+vettel&gs_l=hp.13..0j0i3j0l8.2277.8783.0.13372.16.10.0.5.5.2.755.3207.3j1j1j1j2j1j1.10.0....0...1c.1.29.hp..5.11.1125.TmRvCd6wz5U