Author Topic: Rocking Horses & Wooden Carousel Horses  (Read 1133 times)

stacilayne

• View Profile
Rocking Horses & Wooden Carousel Horses
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:26:42 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

I joined this forum because A) I love antiques, and B) I'm wondering where some good places are to target buyers for horse-related items.

I am moving and I **MUST** sell some wooden hand-carved carousel horses (vintage 1980s) and also several vintage full-sized children's rocking horses and stick horses (ranging in age from the 1930s - 1970s).

I am having a devil of a time getting anyone at all interested via Craigslist and eBay. Even starting at $30 for an adorable 1960s rocking horse, no bites.

What else is there? There must be a market for these guys, but I sure can't find it.

I don't know how to insert an image here in this forum, but I could put links to my Craigslist listings (I don't want to do that with anyone's OK... I'm sure you guys are sensitive to 'spam') if anyone wants to see them.

Just some ideas on how to sell... are consignment shops even an option anymore these days?

Thanks,
Stacilayne

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Rocking Horses & Wooden Carousel Horses
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:04:53 pm »
to insert a pic ..click on additional options....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
When it comes to carousel horses, (I have a 1940s cast aluminum one from the carousel I grew up on!) the wooden carved ones often come from Mexico and were never actually on carousels, they are designed as decor. A big part of the charm of a carousel horse is the nostalgia that comes with it. It has to be able to conjure up happy memories of ice cream and cotton candy, otherwise it's just a statue from Mexico. Vintage rocking horses often don't have the appeal of earlier antique ones, so I'd try aiming your horses at people who love horses and see if that generates interest.

Try doing one post with all your horse stuff in a list on a horse owner Facebook group. There are some VERY active groups like OTTB Connect and English Tack Trader.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:38:25 pm »
Ecrater has free store sites if you sell regularly !! They also have a marketplace that helps the store sell the items !! Only fee is like 2.9% or so if you choose to use the marketplace and one of your store items is sold through that venue !!  Otherwise all is free !! Its like etsy but cheaper !!