Author Topic: To feel guilty or not to feel guilty?  (Read 3539 times)

Dogaman

• View Profile
To feel guilty or not to feel guilty?
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:55:37 am »
Greetings,

When you're hunting items and find a possible gem, do you feel guilty not taking the seller's word that it is an "original So-and-So"? Do you feel guilty as you examine every nook and cranny for scratches, repairs, etc.? For something that indicates the original maker and year? Do you enjoy the bargaining? And if so, what are your favorite tactics?

When I find a Carnival Glass item that piques my interest, I pick it up...look closely at the surface for scratches or cracks...sometimes take it into better light to determine the base color. I carry a pattern book with me and, if I am not familiar with the pattern, consult it out of the dealer's sight.  I fear that sometimes, these actions might come across as haughty. Am I being overly sensitive?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: To feel guilty or not to feel guilty?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:22:27 am »
You are a professional and do not want to get burned. Nothing to feel guilty about. If feel more guilty when someone under prices something ridiculously. I have often paid them extra unless they have an attitude. 

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
My husband used to do that with glass, such as Erickson and Fenton. He was always very careful about it.  He got really good at identifying Erickson though and being able to tell it apart from Murano and Blenko.  Sometimes he will be honest with the seller/owner and let them know that it is something else.  For instance if someone had one marked blenko (or not at all) and it was Erickson, he would tell them so they wouldn't get ripped off, or if it was Blenko and they had it marked high for Blenko or something, so he wouldn't get ripped off.  He always looks closely at that stuff. He checks jugs and crocks that way too - examining very closely for cracks and such - he can tell by tapping on them.  I don't know anything about them or much about the tapping/knocking thing....he does all that, but I know he is always doing that, ha ha.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:34:53 am »
Frog--There's one guy at a local flea market, who has this "I know better than you" attitude.  I loathe buying from him, but Carnival Glass is scarce down here anywhere besides auctions. Once he told me that an item was "selling all day on Ebay for $45.00". I went home and researched the Fenton Christmas Plate and found it for $15.00--just what he was asking. Glad I passed on that one!

Xmelax--I am also interested in McCoy pottery. The thumping thing: a dull thud means there's a crack. I, also, have educated sellers. There was one who had numerous Depression Glass items she was using on her desk. When I asked if she had any Carnival Glass, she looked puzzled. When I bought a piece later that day, I returned and showed her.  Her face lit up! I advised her to investigate Depression Glass, as well, as she might want to price her desk items. :)

Thanks for the input! Anyone else?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:35 am »
I am with Frogpatch on this one !!  I have often told people when their items were under priced !! Especially if I know they arew just trying to make extra money at a garage sale or the like !! And like others I go by attitude of the seller !!  I get really irritated when a shop owner tries to tell me an object was made 100 years ago when I know better !! As far as taking a closer look,, its your money !! An undisclosed crack or chip takes money out of your pocket !!  I personally would look as closely as possible !!  If they look at you with that scrunched up brow,, just tell them you are still learning about it !!  No lie,, we all learn daily here !!

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:38 pm »
I am with Frogpatch on this one !!  I have often told people when their items were under priced !! Especially if I know they arew just trying to make extra money at a garage sale or the like !! And like others I go by attitude of the seller !!  I get really irritated when a shop owner tries to tell me an object was made 100 years ago when I know better !! As far as taking a closer look,, its your money !! An undisclosed crack or chip takes money out of your pocket !!  I personally would look as closely as possible !!  If they look at you with that scrunched up brow,, just tell them you are still learning about it !!  No lie,, we all learn daily here !!
Just what Mart said. I wouldn't feel slighted if I was selling something expensive, a car, a vintage piece, anything and the buyer wanted to examine it closely. I might have missed something. I would hope sellers would give me the same courtesy. I prize honesty above all. Tell me you're not sure about something. I will respect you more than if you try to give me a line.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:07:54 pm »
I'll quote the line "You know ... 'Let the buyer beware!' " with a smirk on my mug , when a seller seems just a bit too 'full of it' ....  & always carry a jewers' loupe for the close-ups too .

Have listened to many key phrases such as - I was told ; I heard ; I think it is a ; an appraiser said ; one like it is selling online for ; & etc .... some by honest people & some used as a flim-flam ... so I'll comment that listening closely counts alot !

I don't fault folks who are extra cautious about letting a stranger handle a fragile item , though ... seen more than a few 'inspections' wind up with broken bits ... I'll always ask first , since I prefer friendly and fair exchanges - even if it means paying fair market value . ::)

As to tactics .... well a fav is to 'dress down' & show up in a borrowed 'beater car' , when fitting to the situation (such as hi-ish -end estate/auction sales) .... oohing & ahing over the ugliest junk the person has to offer is also fun for me .... guess I'd have to say that 'Brier Rabbitisms' are high on my list .  :D :D :o

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:30:40 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »
Fancy,

I didn't think about the loupe. I always have one in my purse, 'cause my first "collectible" was (and still is) antique thimbles. Thanks for the tip!

Hubby and I work as a team. He usually scouts ahead and then doubles back to let me know what might be coming up.  Sometimes, he'll even go back after I've passed on items because of high price (and unwillingness to bargain) and ask. So far--and we haven't been doing this long--the price is either the same or higher.

I also try to 'bundle' items--thank you Antique Archeology!

We haven't hit any true estate auctions or sales, yet. Hopefully, in our future.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:59:56 pm »
I also try to 'bundle' items--thank you Antique Archeology!

Excellent strategy !!  Isn`t that a blast !! Love the show !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »
It's your money and you should always look things over well.  Nothing wrong with that.  When I bargain people down I do try to be fair. If they are asking $100 I would not try to offer them $15.  That is just insulting.  I found the best strategy is to be friendly.  I know one guy that if the person is rude his price goes up.  He and I have been doing more business because we show respect to the other.  I have formed some nice relationships with people in the area and found it brings more your way.  It's all about how you treat people. You can get a ton of information just by chatting a little.  I always share any I have in return. It's called integrity, principles and morals.  Works every time. 

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
Dear Ice,

I agree. Respect goes both ways. Cultivating connections through mutual respect can pay off down the road. You never know when that person just 'hears' of something so-and-so has that you might be interested. Leads galore!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 08:02:09 pm »
My habit of never meeting a stranger works well in that respect !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 10:24:48 am »
I was in a shop owned by a dealer friend and he had an "Art Deco" lamp that was chrome. I had to tell him that I probably sold it when it was brand new in the 70's. When things you sold new turn up in antique stores you know have some miles on you. Anyway he was happy that he did not accidentally deceive someone and changed the tag. I purchased many items from him because he was alwats willing to gve me a wholesale cost if he was making a profit. That is the way it should be.

@Dogaman There is a lot of carnival glass up here. I see it all the time but the reproductions are also everywhere. I picked up a piece of white carnival glass that was a repro but I only gambled a couple dollars. My neighbor has a signed Northwood white carnival glass cookie jar that I identified for her. I never saw one before. She will not part with it and she is leaving to her son who definitely will not appreciate it. How is this story. I found a signed, Peacock at the Fountain, 7 piece water set in a box at a roadside sale for 10.00 in Marigold. My wife made me sell it on eBay because she "hated the color." 8>( We have this agreement that we both have to like something. Except for the vintage fishing stuff that I have to cram into my office that she refers to as "that mess".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »
Dear Ice,

I agree. Respect goes both ways. Cultivating connections through mutual respect can pay off down the road. You never know when that person just 'hears' of something so-and-so has that you might be interested. Leads galore!

Like how you worded that...cultivating connections.  I also always carry a loupe ( I love silver and china items).  I will ask to take pictures to research further.  I have told quite a few sellers (in person and online) if they have something mis-identified in order to help them identify the item and get more money.  Most of the time they are mighty appreciative.  However, I had one tell me they knew better and sold a beautiful expensive mote spoon for a few mere dollars (identifying it as a olive spoon)....only to see it resold correctly by the new owner for several hundred within 2 weeks!  I have also been known to gently advise some sellers they have something incorrectly identified (such as being sterling silver and it is silverplate...or it isn't even silver).  Most are appreciative because they, like me, like to learn new things and want to maintain a good knowledge and reputation.  But there are those out there that are just downright snaky!!!

So, take your books and learn.  Any reputable person would like for you to verify they have a true thing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!