Author Topic: J Gould Litho  (Read 1417 times)

MarySmith

• View Profile
J Gould Litho
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:53:09 pm »
I'm trying to find out if this is an original litho or a mid century reproduction.  I spoke to an appraiser that one of the local museums recommended but after talking to him I got the distinct impression that old Gould lithos were not his field. There seems to be enough great minds here to help me decide if it might be worth lugging this big old thing to an expert for a look see
The print itself inside the mat measures 20 by 13. With the frame 29 x 22
The frame is damaged as you can see. The front veneers are gone.
Its in good shape no rips or anything but it does have some stains like mold spots on the print and the mat.
It looks like it was mounted on solid wood that was nailed into the back of the  frame so I cant just remove it and take the print out

Ipcress

Re: J Gould Litho
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »
Promising, Mary.

Can you remove the nails and look at the print outside the frame ? If there's no other text beneath the image title then i think you're looking at a 19th original and not a mid 20th repro.

Nails look fairly old and should pull straight out. Then the back comes easily away and you can examine the plate.

Looks to have faded slightly so that will affect price anyway.

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »
Promising, Mary.

Can you remove the nails and look at the print outside the frame ? If there's no other text beneath the image title then i think you're looking at a 19th original and not a mid 20th repro.

Nails look fairly old and should pull straight out. Then the back comes easily away and you can examine the plate.

Looks to have faded slightly so that will affect price anyway.
Ipcress, I will attempt to remove them tomorrow. There are so many and I want to take my time. Thank you for the look at.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:30 pm »
Those nails are toenailed in so just get a pair of pliers, grab the head and pull straight out !!  Might need to wiggle it a bit but should come out easily !! Put them back same way with couple of extra taps !!

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
Yeah, sure be a fairly easy task without any risk

Colours look good too, even though faded. Don't look like 20th century printing.