Author Topic: Old Cash Register - Did He Pay Too Much?  (Read 3277 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
Old Cash Register - Did He Pay Too Much?
« on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »
Hi everyone!

My husband came home from work today with a surprise, as him and his boss were antiquing on work hours, ha ha.  He brought home an old cash register.  It is a National Cash Register in fully working order.  It is also in good shape. It was said to come from a Service Station and they claim it to be from around 1938 - 1940.  It is actually bigger than it looks in the photos (it is huge) and it took 2 men and a teenager to bring it inside. It is extremely heavy according to them.  I always thought cash registers were not really worth anything. He paid $50 for it.  Do you think he paid too much or he did alright?  There is a black plate on the front that I think has the serial number but I cannot make it out yet. There are papers stuck to the bottom of the drawer and the side (inside) giving what the inspectors name and personal info is - such as height, weight, color of eyes, etc.

Here are the photos of it:

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: Old Cash Register - Did He Pay Too Much?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:14:02 am »
I think he did good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-National-Cash-Register-/151143182848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2330d5f200   The model he got isn't one of the high demand ones but he got a very fair price.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:00 am »
Agree with that !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »
Okay thanks for the replies! At first, I thought, he made a huge mistake doing that. We are going to look today to see if we can find the serial number. I know he bought it to collect and he likes it so that is is all that matters. I just didn't want him to over pay for it.  It is stuck in our living room right now, because of it being too heavy to carry downstairs to the basement (where he has most of our antiques set up).  We have to wait until his son in law comes over to take it down...since it will take 3 people to do it. I can't help at all, because of my head/neck & my broken/herniated disc.  Besides that, even if I could try to help, we'd never get that far. He said it is just that heavy. :) :)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »
If you ever decide to open a country store,,you can use it !!  :D

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:40 pm »
If he ever finds one of the very old Coke ones those are great to collect.  I know a guy that redoes them and they are amazing!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 02:45:52 pm »
. We are going to look today to see if we can find the serial number.:)

When the drawer is open ...... in the back of the center compartment should be a "lever" protruding out.

Lift up on the lever ..... then pull the drawer completely out.

Look on the underside of the drawer for ##s

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 04:01:56 pm »
Ha !!  I didn`t know that !!  Knew they came out but didn`t know how !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 06:23:40 pm »
maybe it was made over here,...Dundee during the late 1940s to  the 80,s had the biggest NCR factory outside of America....the workforce exceeded 5000,....out of a population of 160,000...the other big American companies were Timex and Kelvinator.....my late father used to say,...get a job in the Cash.or the Timex..and you,ve got a job for life,......little did he know
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:11:52 pm »
Thanks! Also, I didn't know that about that Cogar! Thanks for the tip! I will have him check that tomorrow. We still haven't taken it downstairs. He decided to bring a few things upstairs to put around it and now it is a gas station display, ha ha.  That is funny Mart! That would be interesting Bigwull. I will have to look to see if it says where it was made. Maybe by the serial number I will find out.