Author Topic: repair question  (Read 4113 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: repair question
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 02:52:34 pm »
By doing that wouldn't that be just a copy of the original or am I miss understanding you. In my neck of the woods cracker has another meaning. I wouldn't be using that term unless I was having soup or h'orderves. (Spelling?)
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 04:54:40 am »
By doing that wouldn't that be just a copy of the original or am I miss understanding you.

Technically, all photographs are copies of an “original” something or other.

Thus the only thing that makes a specific “copy” of a photo an original is its provenance.

So, you have to decide whether or not to: 1) just replacing the glass and giving it back to her;  … 2) give her a $2 replacement “copy” of the photo; … or 3) try to find someone capable of repairing that photograph to maintain its provenance.   

Anyway, if you opt for 3) choice, … then I suggest that you first make a “high res” scan of the photo ……. and then be “looking-over” the person’s shoulder when he/she is making the repairs. 

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 03:54:46 pm »
Thank you for the explanation,  cogar. :)
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 05:54:09 am »
greenacres, I was not unaware of your dilemma. I am just a common sense practical person and very seldom do I ever permit my “emotional” thoughts to affect my conversation with another person. But on those rare occasions that it does occur ….. then it is oftentimes “Katy bar the door”.   

I first suggested that you just make a copy of the photo and repair it digitally because:

1. finding someone to repair it manually might not be possible.
2. if you found someone you would have to trust they could do it.
3. if it was repaired, the “fixes” might look worse than the scratches.
4. the “fixing” will be expensive regardless of the outcome.
5. the person might fix it the way I suggested and you would never know.
7. there is always the chance it would be destroyed during the fixing process

But if you fix it yourself via the way I suggested, then destroy the original copy, then no one but you will ever know that it is not the original one you gave her the first time and the provenance of the “picture” between you and your daughter is still maintained.