Author Topic: Genuine Fenton Mongolian Green?  (Read 3503 times)

veggieguy

• View Profile
    • Prima Treasures
Genuine Fenton Mongolian Green?
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:54:53 am »
Hello! My wife picked up a nice art glass footed bowl at auction this weekend, mostly because she couldn't bear to let somebody else nab it for just $5.  After getting it home, we noticed a sticker from the previous owner, a dealer, which said "Fenton, Mongolian Green, 1933 / 857".  Some cursory research does show it being quite similar to other Mongolian Green pieces, but I have yet to truly prove it to myself. I have read that Fenton pieces from this era were not marked.

Any Fenton fans in the forum that might be able to shed some light as to whether this is genuine?  Pics below. Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Genuine Fenton Mongolian Green?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 01:00:11 am »
most will still be in their scratchers....or about to go, ....but..when they awaken...they,ll help you....as for me....if its not made of wood....well....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 04:29:24 am »
Does it have a Fenton mark in the glass?  I don't see one in the picture.  http://www.ddoty.com/Graphics/FentonFMark.jpg

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:42:18 am »
Yes your piece was made by Fenton 1934 - 1935 # 847- 11" Flared bowl  and is done in Mongolian green an opaque dark blue-green colored glass that is sometimes called slag glass by collectors, The marbleized / light, dark effect was done when the gatherer simply did not clean the excess glass from his punty when he gathered molten glass for a new piece. The difference in temp of the old glass to the new glass produced different shades of the dark blue-green glass which were spread throughout the piece when the glass is pressed into a mold. They also used this effect with their Mandarin red color.  Beautiful piece at a wonderful price!! Hang onto it as prices will go up with pieces being broken or thrown out by younger gen. Also Fenton is no longer producing ANY art glass  :'(  actual catalog Photos  from the company ( originals Held by the Fenton art glass museum) of your piece can be found in Fenton Art Glass identification & Value guide page 207 second edition 1907 - 1939 by Margret & Kenn Whitmyer. Veggie your wife has a wonderful eye for Glass!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:07:30 am by wendy177 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:47:55 am »
Beautiful dish !! Nice find !!

veggieguy

• View Profile
    • Prima Treasures
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:01:09 pm »
icedgold10: From what I've read, Fenton pieces made prior to 1973 are not marked on the glass itself. I believe it was done with stickers back then, and most have not survived.

wendy177: Thank you for such an informative and speedy reply, with reference picture no less! That's great news that we unwittingly ended up with a genuine early Fenton piece. I will be sure to encourage my wife to continue developing her eye for glass. In the meantime, we will find a nice spot to display this Mongolian Green bowl.

Thanks again. I continue to be impressed with how friendly and helpful this forum's community is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 12:23:28 pm »
Many Fenton pieces had the sticky labels !!  That's why we need glass experts like Wendy to tell us what we have when one is found !!

fentonfrk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 12:01:04 am »
Beautiful piece at a steal of a deal! Very jealous!
Todays find is tomorrows treasure!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 04:47:17 am »
Beautiful piece at a steal of a deal! Very jealous!
You,re not the first green eyed Monster on here... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:29:58 am »
Veggie,

OMG! You're wife snatched that one out from under their collective noses! Well done!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 10:04:34 am »
Nice find!!!!!  Such a wonderful example of Mongolian Green...in fact one of the best ones I have seen that the color is more consistent!!!

Thanks for giving such wonderful information Wendy177! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!