Author Topic: George Rolph Armoire  (Read 1557 times)

caitlyns31

• View Profile
George Rolph Armoire
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:49:46 pm »
Hi all, I have a armoire that I've been unsuccessful finding any information on. Hoping there's someone that can provide help. The tag inside says:
"George Rolph Ltd
--House Furnishers--
Hemel Hempstead
Founded 1837    Boxmoor 70"

I am in the US, but purchased it from a Brit who had shipped it over. I was told it was late 1890's to early 1900's, but to be honest I have no firm knowledge.

Any information or help is greatly appreciated!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: George Rolph Armoire
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:09:03 pm »
George Rolph..would have been the retailers...not the makers,..this is what we here in the UK call a single Wardrobe,most likely made of oak,..it does,nt have the look of one made in the late 1800,s, it looks more like 1920,s/30s,...if the value of this Rolph piece is anything to go by..then..I hope you,re sitting down...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dressing-Table-George-Rolph-Ltd-/121230987372
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »
it like hitting a brick wall, can,t find anything about the business, however did find that George Rolph lived in Hemel H in the 1800,s
see link then scroll down to where you see Hemel Hempstead,

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=ms_r_f-2_s&gsfn=George+Marsh&gsln=Rolph&msbdy=1811&msbpn__ftp=Newark%2C+New+Jersey%2C+USA&msddy=1891&msdpn__ftp=&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=000&cp=0
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:16:17 pm »
Hasn`t been long since we had a similar "House Furnishers" label but with a different name I think !!  I assumed a retailer as well but have since decided that perhaps these gentlemen were the equivalent to our interior decorators !! Neither has/had a brick and mortar store and the label doesn`t read like a retailer !! I think these people were simply hired to decorate a house or apt. !! They handled the purchase and installation of what was needed by the owner !!  They had nothing to do with the mfr or retail sales !!