Author Topic: Ebay International Sites Work-Around  (Read 2704 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Ebay International Sites Work-Around
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:50 pm »
I had a really hard to find item. I wanted an early 1900s tooled leather British-made ladies bicycle saddle for my antique bike. The few that came up on eBay were either in poor condition or sold for a mint with lots of competition. So I tried searching directly on the UK eBay site and found just the saddle that I was after. The seller listed it as only shipping within the UK, so it did not show up on eBay USA. I contacted the seller and asked if I won the auction, if he would ship it to a friend in the UK and that was fine. My friend agreed to help out. There was only one other bidder, and I got it for about half what I would have expected. Just thought I'd pass that along.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay International Sites Work-Around
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:19:12 pm »
When I see something on UK ebay, and it says collection only...9 times out of 10 that item will attract far fewer bids as what with the cost of fuel..$10+ a gal,..people don,t want to spend too much on travelling,...so if i want this item i send the seller a message asking them, that if i won it would they allow  me to send a carrier to collect, or if its a biggish item, i,d be willing to send an empty crate with packaging material, they pack the item,then i,ll have it collected,..just recently there was a large model boat,...the big one of these two,it had a start price of £99..and a buy it now of £350...with no reserve, ..it was collection only,and as it was 650 miles from me, collecting it was out of the question,as i,d have to spend over,£150 on fuel,there and back, + 16+ hours on the road,..i emailed the seller with 5 hours left and asked them if i could send a crate,..they agreed, ..i got the model at the start price,...the cost of the crate was Nil..as i had the material, the carriage costs there and back, with a carrier,..was £30....and it arrived undamaged,..5 days later,...and it was a steal at
£129
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »
Great tip Talesof!

Is anyone having the problem when you do a search it will always search internationally...n o matter how many times I mark US only?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Classy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:30:15 pm »
Love it :) I've never tried it on other sites, but often contact buyers who offer no delivery. They have never said no to delivery yet and as you say the competition is zero!

I also hunt down people who sell items with a bad title, for example the other day I brought something with the title "unwanted gift". Which nobody really searches for.

I usually add these type of sellers to my favourites!