Author Topic: It's Not Just Antique Collecting That Is Slow  (Read 1663 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
It's Not Just Antique Collecting That Is Slow
« on: May 17, 2022, 11:17:17 am »
It's a whole raft of stuff that is not what it once was. Hollie Davis posted an article in MAD this month about this phenomenon, it's much deeper than antique collecting she argues, golf, fishing, knitting, camping, boating, etc, etc, etc are all down in participation, and Americans' hobbies/leisure time are changing fundamentally in different ways.
I think she's right, the old hobbies are just not what people are spending their time on these days, all across the board.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:19:23 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: It's Not Just Antique Collecting That Is Slow
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 05:07:58 pm »
You are right Jacon4 !!  Now its the economy, politics, and other social  media opinions !  You would think that with the prices today they would be trying to make a  little  extra cash but doesn`t look that way !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 09:43:04 pm »
And....although it may not be what it once was...the prices I am seeing my area the prices are higher on many things.  Depressions era furniture is up - even 2nd hand, church charity stores are way above their values.

Homes are crazy high (A house with a loan value and sale price of $300K is selling for around $450K.  A house valued at $700K is getting into bidding wars and selling for over 1 million!)  It's great for people wanting to sell and move elsewhere....but not for those wanting to stay in the area!  Hate to see what happens withing the next year when this trend doesn't hold!

Majority of "antique stores/malls" are now selling so much "junk" they are claiming are antiques (and aren't) and lots of crafts and clothing.  Definitely a change in the market! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 03:01:02 am »
What KC said. Great time to sell a house, but you've got to live somewhere, and its a bad time to buy. Another housing bubble?

I'm not sure that a lot of folks even know the difference between antique and not.  I'm just glad our house is more or less where we want it, furnishing-wise. Prices do seem to be going up, but as of yet not nearly enough to offset the losses we've suffered over the last 10 years.

Economic instability. Good gosh! What's it good for? Absolutely nothing! :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 04:13:21 am »
Yes, housing prices are nutty & not sustainable in my view. In my neighborhood, there has not been a single house for sale this entire spring which is very weird. How weird is it? in addition to daily phone calls, daily emails, USPS offers I now have real estate people KNOCKING on my door! on the weekends asking if I'd consider selling.
The bad news in all this is, if you sell at these inflated prices & make a nice profit you gotta live SOMEWHERE! and the prospect of buying at these nutty prices is not comforting.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 02:27:22 pm »
Agree with KC's comments on "antique stores" that sell v junk. They are everywhere. I don't think a lot of people know that these stores sell modern distressed, upcycled, vintage and maybe a few antiques. I've seen some that were all distressed decor, without a single antique in sight!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 09:13:22 am »
I've walked in a couple of "antique malls" the past month and majority of things they are selling as "antique" aren't even close to being vintage.  It makes me sick to think these buyers are the ones we will see on sites like this in a year or so trying to find out what their purchase/investment is worth only to find out they were taken by an opportunist or someone that really didn't know.

Just 1/4 mile down the road from me someone paid 2.5 million for a 5 acre piece with a 10 year old home, a homestead and stables on it.  They just plowed it all down and are going to build a 15 million dollar estate!!! 

Mart, I can't help but laugh because most people in our area have moved from California, got into bidding wars and paid WAY ABOVE MARKET only to experience this unusual heat wave.  We are just waiting to see how many are going to go up for sale within a year and for them to head back to better weather! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 02:57:47 pm »
Also, funny thing was over at my youngest daughter's place last week and she and her friends have taken up a new hobby.  They have learned to crochet!  It's apparently becoming a "new thing" with the 20+ generation!  (She's the one that never wanted to learn while growing up and now look at her!  LOLOL)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 03:48:02 pm »
Land here that was  selling for 5 to 6K is now selling for 10 to 12K !!  And its just a brush pile !