Author Topic: wooden board game  (Read 3534 times)

llhayes1

• View Profile
wooden board game
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:47:01 am »
 Hi All, First time post here. My name is Laura, I am from NH. I did a search for this board game and didn't find anything. anybody familiar with wooden board games? I don't have any history on this, I found it years ago while cleaning out the basement of my parents house (circa1906) all the game markings are carved from a darker wood and inlaid into the lighter wood board (no paint). This side has checkers and the other side is Parcheesi. it's somewhat heavy and measures 30 1/2 x 20 ". I have wanted to hang it, but wasnt comfortable with placing any hookings on the back. Any thoughts? IM looking fwd to using this forum to poke around, and learn about everybody great treasures! Thank you

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: wooden board game
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:54:53 am »
Love it! I agree, it would look really great hanging. If the edges are secure, you might be able to come up with a clip at your local hardware store that would allow you to suspend it from the clips without harming the board. Definitely don't drill it. The crack is unfortunate and would of course affect the value, but it's still got a neat, rustic appeal.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:23:25 pm »
It's a keeper. small primitives, are a $1,000.00 +

llhayes1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:02:02 pm »
Ive poked around the internet a little and found similar (it seems a few have that same crack down the middle) but they were all painted vs my inlaid, so I wasn't sure if that itself made a big difference in rarity/value. I even came across a few painted with the crack going for around that much. I wish I knew more about it, IM not even sure if it belonged to someone in my family or if it was left in the house from the originals owners... it was found in a deep dirt portion of the basement, so it very well could have been there for many years unnoticed. either way, it is a neat board and I think I will see if I can find something at the hardware store to secure it on my wall :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:40 pm »
Some old game boards do bring excellent money !!  Even with the crack yours is nice !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:14:52 am »
it was found in a deep dirt portion of the basement,

Was the "crack" in it when you first brought it up out of the basement?

llhayes1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:58:15 am »
Yes

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »
Kind of odd that others would have the same crack !! Can you post a link to those you found ??

llhayes1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:59:53 pm »
zandkantiques.com has a really nice (cracked) mustard colored board. I found a couple via a google search, there was another one for sale too that I thought was on rubylane, but I cant seem to find it again. Why would it seem that odd anyway?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:04:46 am »
Mart, if you look at the picture again you should note on the left side center, that dark line is not a crack or a split.

It is a “separation” of the two (2) boards due to sheir shrinkage from “drying out”.

And when they “separatted” ……. the checker-board surface “split”. You should also note the left-most “dark” square didn’t “split” … but it pulled loose from the “light” square next to it.

That’s why I asked IIhayes if it was “split” before it was retrieved from its hiding place in the basement.  Wood items such as that need to be “climatized” when moved to a new location. 

A fellow I know salvaged some fine looking “old” boards, took them home, cut them to length and nailed them against the walls. And they sure nuff looked purty …….. before they started drying out, that is. Large “cracks” started appearing between every board. I told him all he could do now was to get “black” paint and paint between  each crack.

llhayes1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 07:46:38 am »
it's been over 10 years since I found and took the board out of the basement. I remember it always having the crack, but to what degree I don't. I always thought it was neat, but never got around to doing anything with it.... on the back side you can really see how a few of the darker pieces separated and pulled away from the lighter wood rather then split.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 09:20:22 am »
Yes, I saw all that Cogar !!  Just seemed odd that the others she found were the same !! Probably no biggie though !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »
Not unusual for the old pieces to "pull apart" from humidity over time!  Agree Dewain!

These can be worth a bit!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

llhayes1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:53 pm »
I haven't found much info out there on them. anyone know about what time period it's from... early 1900's?