Author Topic: Old wooden box  (Read 1979 times)

nightowl

• View Profile
Old wooden box
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:41 am »
This is a box that was given to my Dad by his aunt when was a kid. He was told it was made by a relative in 1882. It measures 5" X 7". It sits on a shelf with arrow heads in it. I'm just curious if it is worth much.
Thanks for any info.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old wooden box
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »
Would certainly be worth a bit but how much,,no way to tell what people would pay !!  Where did you find the arrowheads ??  Line them up with something to tell size and take a pic of those !! One of our members might be able to give you info on those !!  Where are you located ??

nightowl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
Would certainly be worth a bit but how much,,no way to tell what people would pay !!  Where did you find the arrowheads ??  Line them up with something to tell size and take a pic of those !! One of our members might be able to give you info on those !!  Where are you located ??

Located in NW Ohio. Arrow heads were found around here probably by my Dad near Lima when he was a kid, one I found in Illinois when I was a kid.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
Far right may be a scraper,,can`t see the back  !!  Not sure about the one to the left of it,,looks like it might be just a large flake but might be worked on other side !! That large fish tail is a nice one,,its only missing a tiny bit from the tip  !!
Nice finds !!

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:08:26 pm »
I can't give much info on your box but maybe I can help on the points. I think Mart is correct on the two on the right. Hard to say on the other three small ones, they appear to be broken or reworked heavily and would be considered field grade with little value. Okay saved the best for last. The big one would be an Early Archaic corner notch, probably a Kirk (type) in the 6900 B.C. range. It is considered a knife form and has been resharpened several times. Value is hard to be sure without actually handling it but I would guess in the 100 to 150 dollar range in its condition.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:51:55 am »
I can't give much info on your box but maybe I can help on the points.

Illiniguy, I have a "point" which I would like your opinion on as well as an estimated value.

I've already had 2 opinions on it, but no estimate of value ..... and am curious as to what you think.

Here is the link to a picture I posted some time ago .....

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=12106.msg71338;topicseen#msg71338

The picture is not that good but I could post a better one if you so choose.

Ps, here is the link to my original post ...... but the pictures seem to be missing.

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7473.msg31410;topicseen#msg31410
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:57:22 am by cogar »

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »
Cogar, I would like to see a better pic or two. If I read the previous post correctly, this was found in New York State and is 6 1/2 inches long? This is pretty far out of my geographic area but I will try to tell what I know.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:04 pm »
I went back and read the beginning of that post that started with an axe that belongs to Greenacres I think !! I was totally wrong on it !! I didn`t enlarge it at that time but did earlier today and it does have a worked edge so its a true axe instead of the war clubs we find here that have a rounded edge !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:38 pm »
Cogar, I would like to see a better pic or two.

Will do ..... but will take a few days ...... and I will upload them in a "new" posting.

And thanks much,