Author Topic: could anybody identify this items value if any  (Read 1309 times)

P00LSHRK

• View Profile
could anybody identify this items value if any
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:16:26 am »
Hi everyone hope all is well. I need a bit of expert help. I have spent about 6 hours trying to find out if this lamp has any value or is just plain old. It belonged to my mom's mom and she passed away last year at the age of 82 and dad gave me the lamp. On both top and bottom there are what appear to be hand paint pink roses. On one side the rose is in full bloom and on the other it is not. It also has a night light in the base. The only identifying mark I can find on it is on the underside on the base is the number 3001. Anyone recognize it by chance.
Thanks for reading

* S4200001 8.JPG (61.87 KB, 544x408 - viewed 0 times.)

mart

• View Profile
Re: could anybody identify this items value if any
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:06:31 am »
Very pretty little boudoir lamp !! Made most likely in the 40`s when "Gone with the Wind" lamps were popular !! These are fairly common types and were made in many configurations even into the 50`s !! 3001 is likely the base style, since the glass makers did not make the metal parts !! Base was made by one company, glass by another, and assembled by another company !! Night lights were a feature closer to the 50`s !!

P00LSHRK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »
Mart
Thanks for your insight and expertise. I agree there must be tons of patterns because I looked at thousands of these and not one had the closed rose on one side and the full bloom rose on the other side on both the  top and the bottom . I just find it so odd that there is nothing identifying the manufacturer.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:28:50 pm »
Only the very high end lamps are normally marked !! Its that way even today !! If you go to Wal-Mart or Sears or most any of the mid priced department stores they usually are not marked unless its on a string tag and that is usually the wholesaler not the maker !! Like I said before each part is made by a different company so putting a name on it is pretty much useless !! Even the light socket is made by a different company !!
Its a very pretty lamp no matter who made the parts !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:24:11 pm »
Mart is right on target with this. There were many companies who made these is the late 40s, 50s and 60s. The glass was often made in one place and decorated somewhere else and sold to the lamp manufacturer. If the lamp has a UL label you can look up the E number on line. The UL on the socket will often trace back to the socket maker who is usually Eagle. In the case of some lamps however they stuck the UL on the socket. Pitlow manufacturing would be a good guess or Lightcraft.

P00LSHRK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
thanks for your help as well frogpatch. I have one other question for you good folks. Since I don't know what brand name it is or exactly how old it is how do I price it to sell it as we really don't have space for it. Also I've looked at 1000's of similar  made lamps with different hand painted globes and/bases and they appear to be anywhere from $79.95 to $350.00. How do I know on what side of the price range I should be.

Thanks again for everything

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:29 am »
Those price ranges are asking prices,, not what they will sell for !! This type lamp is pretty common and realistically,,about $30. to $40. is what you should expect it to sell for !! But it would go well with the Shabby Chic decorating theme so I would use that in my description when you list it !!  Good pics and a pretty table decoration with another rose or two can increase sales potential !!