Author Topic: Old Bracelet  (Read 2254 times)

cmckenzie27

• View Profile
Old Bracelet
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:12:07 pm »
I received this bracelet from my grandmother in Scotland before she passed - she told me when she gave it to me that it belong to my great great grandmother (I think?). Curious as to it's origins/ whether or not it's worth something. It's in pretty good condition, tiny crack in one of the stones but otherwise fine.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old Bracelet
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »
Get a magnifying glass and look closely for any markings on the metal parts.  Probably great grandmother,, has a  Deco look !!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:44:43 pm »
If the photograph is good in quality then I see red copper shining under the silver . So that would be a copper bracelet with is plated with silver . So is the red also seen on the bracelet itself ? 

cmckenzie27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »
Yes, that is visible on the bracelet itself! Thank you for pointing that out :)

ps I looked closer at the metal & noticed it has the word "Miracle" engraved on the edge of one of the panels. Not sure what this means - any idea? Sorry if I sound a bit clueless about all this; because I really am, this is my first time looking into this sort of thing.

cmckenzie27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:41:54 pm »
Get a magnifying glass and look closely for any markings on the metal parts.  Probably great grandmother,, has a  Deco look !!

I looked closer at the metal & noticed it has the word "Miracle" engraved on the edge of one of the panels. Not sure what this means - any idea? Sorry if I sound a bit clueless about all this; because I really am, this is my first time looking into this sort of thing.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:53:13 pm »
I doubt it came from her mother.  It's vintage but not that old.  Looks like metal not silver.  I looked close and blew up the pic and one of the rings that isn't completely closed together does not look silver and workmanship is not that of a jeweler. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
Was your great grandmother catholic ??  Sounds like this may have had a religious relic in it !! Perhaps a few pieces of a saints hair,, bit of skin,, few even had a drop of a saints blood !! Would have had great religious meaning to the owner !!

cmckenzie27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »
I have never heard of such a thing ??? ??? she was Episcopal though.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:45 am »
When you said Miracle was on one of the links,,made me think it might be one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:30 am »
I am no expert on these, but I do remember that this style of bracelet was very popular in the 70's.  I always knew then as a gemstone bracelet.  Even Avon got in on the style!

Typically the nice ones had different color gemstones, polished stones, etc.  You could even get them in various colored glass.  They were also available in teardrop and round shapes.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:12:58 pm »

cmckenzie27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 01:06:26 am »
wow! other than the fact that my stones are all different colors, its totally identical. thank you for finding this, I have been curious for years  :D :D :D