Author Topic: labelle china marks  (Read 4298 times)

mikgadget

• View Profile
labelle china marks
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:59 am »
 :-\ are these plates worth?[/img]

cogar

• View Profile
Re: labelle china marks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:43:53 am »
If it is "blue n' white" it is always worth something,

Need to know the size (diameter) ..... and I can't see the "mark" plain enough to know who the maker is. I'm sure one of the other members will recognize it though.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:48 am »
Wheeling Pottery Company, Wheeling Virginia made many different kinds of pottery/porcelain/semi-porelain, etc. In 1887 they formed a second company under their umbrella called The La Belle Pottery Company. This is what they call a "semi-porcelain" piece and is one of their labels.

This LaBelle China mark was used from 1893 to early 1900's.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:29:30 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:20:53 am »
HA   ;D ;D  anything later than 65' shudda be ..... Wheeling, West Virginia

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:44:57 pm »
Whoops....thanks for catching me on that one cogar!  WEST Virginia!  Finger malfunction/omission!  :O
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:55:35 am »
KC, I just had to do that, for 2 reasons: 1. first time I’ve seen you mis-key something; 2. since Bob Byrd “the pork barrel king” died WV doesn’t get much press. HA HA

Anyway, when talking/writing about glassware ….. that is the easiest and most often made mistake that most everyone makes. And the reason for that is has to do with the history of western Virginia (colonial - 1862) and the history of West Virginia (1863 - present) …… and the fact that glassmaking therein dates back to 1825.

Thus 37 years of glass production in western Virginia before it became West Virginia …. and the fact that there has been more than 500 factories that have manufactured glass in West Virginia throughout the state’s history.

Glass manufacturers were attracted to this area because it offered great quantities of silica sand, stone and other chemical compounds necessary to produce glass and vast reserves of natural gas (NG) for fuel.

In several segments of the glass industry, West Virginia companies led the nation. In pressed glass tableware, West Virginia was home to about 15 percent of the plants operating in the United States between 1825 and 1980,

Thus the oftentimes “nightmare” when trying to research and old piece of glassware.