Author Topic: Old Jasper Company Desk (Image Heavy!)  (Read 1480 times)

amberkin

• View Profile
Old Jasper Company Desk (Image Heavy!)
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:46:22 am »
So, I bought this beautiful l-shaped desk after searching for one on craigslist in need of one as I am staring online college. I also have always liked old things, but never had the chance to really purchase one or really had the cash. I really got a great deal on this desk (only 40$!) It has a few scratches and nicks that I plan to repair/restore with the help of this forum and maybe some antique woodwork tutorials.
I do have photos and I even have the original assembly note with it, which is amazing that it is still intact with the desk. It even has the Jasper Desk Co. sticker inside the lap drawer.
I'm curious if anyone might know the age of it, and if it is even an antique; to me it looks like something from possibly the 60s/70s, but I am not an expert and that is why I am here!
In advance, I would like to apologize for the mess all over the desk; like I said, I am in the process of renovating and am basically shoving whatever I can anywhere at the moment!
I'd also like a little pointers on restoration. What color finish should I go about redoing the edges? I picked up a cherry 235 from walmart and decided I would try it on a paint mixer after sanding it with the 320 sanding paper I picked up since I am actually in the process of renovating my bedroom and bathroom, anyway! I'd also like to know if I will need some rougher sand paper to get out the deeper scratches, or what I could I do?
I did the best I could and if anyone wants pictures of something else, please ask!

This says: Jasper Desk Company Jasper, IND. Style No. 3SPR59 Finish: Wal-Neva. Text. No 15218

Jasper Desk Co. Sticker insider lap drawer

(my dog photobombed these pictures, BAD...lol, please excuse her.)

(deeper scratches here I mentioned)

L-Desk Attachment Drawer

Base Desk Drawer W/Lock Mechanism associated with lap desk (which is missing the key but pulls open like a regular lap desk, then can open the drawer)

Any answers and help are appreciated!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Old Jasper Company Desk (Image Heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:58:59 am »
It doesn't look too bad from what I can see.

If you start sanding on it then you pretty much have to do a complete restoration.

Me thinks maybe a good coating n' rubbing via use of "Old English 'Dark' Furniture Polish" and an old T-shirt will do wonders for it.

THE Old English will "hide" the small scratches. If there are deep scratches ..... then you can buy those "colored" wax pencils for fixing/filling in those scratches. Do that before applying the Old English.

I suggest you "try the above" ...... before you start sanding on it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:20:08 am »
Looks like you have the timeline right !! Do what Cogar suggested first,, wax pencils to tone and blend the scratches/scuffs then old English dark oil !! Don`t start sanding till you have tried this,, you might be surprised !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:35:40 am »
You can use BriWax which is a tinted wax that hides well. A little pricey but it goes a long way