Author Topic: Newbie: Large copper bowl with ornate lid (crosses/crowns?) from old CA church!  (Read 1101 times)

TWD

• View Profile
The guy at the Swapmeet told me he got this out of 100+ year-old Catholic Church in San Diego, and that it was for Holy Water.

It is copper (amazing patina), about 16" in diameter, and would hold close to 3/4-1 gallon of water.

The lid has crosses, and possibly crowns!  It has two ornate handles, and it has a rounded bottom, with a bit of flat so it can sit on a solid surface.

It appears quite old, probably handcrafted, no hallmarks I can see.

I looked online, and nada!  There are some braziers for burning incense that seem somewhat similar, but there is no sign of smoke...but, then again, it looks like it hasn't been used in some time.

We were stopped by half a dozen people on the way out commenting on it.

I paid $40 for it.

Anyone have any ideas?  It seems wonderfully unique...

Thanks in advance!

(I am an amateur collector of old rusty objects that are generally useless, but pleading to me...and great conversation starters!). :)

icedgold10

• View Profile
It looks like a censer more something for water.  The cut outs in the top would be for the smoke to release.  It very well may have come from a church as he said but he may be mistaken on its use.  Nice piece.

mart

• View Profile
Can we see it upright so we can see the design on the sides and inside the lid and container ?? I agree it looks like for incense !! Most of the containers for holy water are bottle form that I am familiar with !!  Holes in top would allow the water to evaporate !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Totally agree with Mart, can you post a few more pictures.  The inside of the bottom of the piece is discolored from exposure to heat.

This top view is nice but need side views and a view of the bottom of it (did that one for you Mart) as well!  :)

I believe the word you are looking for is a THURIBLE!  The metal censer is suspended by chains and is used to burn incense during the Catholic worship services/cermonies.

Here is an example of one with ashes of incense cones/cakes...that would leave marks much like yours has.

You really need to find out what church this was used at/when.   Having provenance of items helps in the value of them!

Most Holy Water fonts or stoups (containments) are urns, bottles, marble fonts/stoups, wall mounted, on pedestals, etc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:34:52 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!