Author Topic: Need Help on 18th Century Silver Compass  (Read 1916 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Need Help on 18th Century Silver Compass
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:33:29 pm »
I have a very old silver compass. The glass is broken and the arrow is loose but still in tact. I don't have much info on it except for what the price tage says which is ' Silver Compass Back Engraved c. 18th C.' I posted some pics of the back with the inscription, but as you can tell it is very tiny and I seem to have misplaced my magnifying glass. I will hopefully find it and post the entire inscription (it's pretty lengthy)

My question is, I don't how much to ask or what more to tell potential buyers other than what I listed above,which is all I know. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Ipcress

Re: Need Help on 18th Century Silver Compass
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »
As this still faithful guides our way
Where ever we're dispos'd to stray
So conscience, the minds magnet will
If sail'd by, save from every ill
To this, to steer below is given
To that, to guide from Earth To Heaven

That's what i could read anyway.

Lovely thing but i think 18th might be pushing it !

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »
Your eyes are much better than mine LOL. Yeah, I can read certain words but I figure I'd need a magnifier in order to make the entire inscription out. You could be right. I'm just going by what the tag says. I don't think I know it is way over priced & was hoping someone would tell me what a fair price would be for it.This one really has me stumped. Anyways, thanks for the reply!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:57:16 pm »
Does it look like this one?

http://www.bexfield.co.uk/12/n071.htm

So far, the ones with the French design for North that I see are made in London.  Is it a paper face or enamel?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08:01 am »
looks like it. Thanks for the link. The face is enamel. Only difference is the back in the link you posted looks more rounded where the one I have is flat. Forgot to mention this but the compass is pretty heavy,more so than it looks. Thanks again for the link!

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:47 am »
Yes the back is more like a pair case pocket watch and it's definitely silver. The suspender is also finer.