Author Topic: Norman Rockwell art? Metallic?  (Read 1722 times)

jalcon

• View Profile
Norman Rockwell art? Metallic?
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:38:06 am »
Hey, so I saw this in a thrift store today. Horrible pic but, in person it has very metallic look to it. It is probably 20"x14" or so....I didn't measure it. It's almost like their is a layer of black, and then it is cut out where where the painting is, and again, the painting/lithograph, whatever it is.....has a shiny metallic look to it. Does anyone have info on what this might be or if it could be worth anything?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:40:59 am by jalcon »

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Norman Rockwell art? Metallic?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:31:33 pm »
From the photo, it looks to me like someone's craft project using a NR print from a book.  GG

jalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12:25 pm »
I will say, if that is the case....they did an excellent job. It looks very professional, and looks like it was "supposed to be that way."

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:30:22 pm »
What's the bottom half of this pic ? Was there an earthquake ?  ;D

jalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »
Lol no, it was something in front of it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »
Rockwell did Life Mag covers,,possibly the artwork for the actual printing !! Has a look like an animation cel !! Like the artwork is on clear celluloid and placed on top of the black background !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:45 pm »
The original came out in 1955 as part of the "Four Ages of Love" suite from his "Four Seasons" series.
http://store.nrm.org/browse.cfm/4,614.htm

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:31:30 am »
Don`t know why I didn`t think of this before !! I worked for a screen printing company at one time !! You said it was cut out ??  Could be a plate from screen print,, they are burned into a plastic like sheet, then the colors and figures are layered, one sheet at a time onto the surface being printed and each color is applied with an individual sheet !! Since most all of the art is on the sheet this may have been toward the last of the production so whoever was doing the printing could check and see that all the sheets were done properly and nothing was missed !!