Author Topic: Odd Russian coat of arms?  (Read 1770 times)

Buddie11

• View Profile
Odd Russian coat of arms?
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:00:39 pm »
Bought this on a whim from local buy and sell for 15 $,delivered to my house within 10 minutes! They had an out of town number and were in a hurry to get there chump change,(fishy). Now I have it and curious about the coat of arms. The box measures 10 3/4 by 7 one pi at a time :(

Buddie11

• View Profile
Re: Odd Russian coat of arms?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:04:20 pm »
Another pic

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:35:23 am »
I agree !! Its very odd,, but I see nothing about the box or the coat of arms that would make me believe it was something special !!  Seems if it was there would be something engraved on the emblem !!  KC might recognize the COA !!
Could be that its a little warm though,,maybe that's why the hurry to get rid of it !!  What were the people like that delivered it ??

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:54:30 am »
Looks more masonic. The eagle facing sinister ( the one on the right as we look at it ) is not carrying the imperial orb,  as it would for the Russian crest, but a slate or book / tomb.

The central shield would also be more reminiscent of Albania ( as would the whole over elaborated design / wings )

But masonic or potentially generic heraldry would be my initial assessment.

Doesn't appear to have too much age to it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:31:34 pm »
This is a "modern interpretation" of the Russian Coat of Arms.  The two headed eagles have the Imperial Crowns on them and heralded by the top crown.  HOWEVER the talons aren't grasping the orb (but one is grasping the sceptor).  In addition, the center section is blank!  That isn't the case in a Russian COA.

This looks to be a decorative men's valet/vanity box (assuming this from looks since there isn't a picture of the insides or bottom which might have some marking on it). It could also be a cigar box. The center of the COA was left blank for purposes of engraving (initials).

This could possibly be a variation for a Family Crest.  But, there are too many to know where to begin.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »
Mart,here's my story on these guys. I text them my address and they said ok on our way. So me I don't trust anybody. So I ask my to neighbour to watch out for me. Then I text my wife and told her I have hawk eyes watching out for me in case I get stabbed! I get a text saying alright. Guys show up deal done and leave. After a quick look at the item I text my wife and said that was a waste of 15 bucks,maybe Kass can use it as a jewelry box! Then I get a text saying(by the way the box is over 50 years old and was smuggled from the US(to canada) because of the species of wood. That's when I realized it wasn't my wife I had been texting,oops!!!!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »
Masonic symbol also has the crowned eagles. Vatican, Byzantines, former Eastern Bloc countries / states etc etc have also used it.

Be surprised if it were Russian, especially with the misplaced / extra stud on the cover. Maybe it opens a hidden compartment...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »
Mart,here's my story on these guys. I text them my address and they said ok on our way. So me I don't trust anybody. So I ask my to neighbour to watch out for me. Then I text my wife and told her I have hawk eyes watching out for me in case I get stabbed! I get a text saying alright. Guys show up deal done and leave. After a quick look at the item I text my wife and said that was a waste of 15 bucks,maybe Kass can use it as a jewelry box! Then I get a text saying(by the way the box is over 50 years old and was smuggled from the US(to canada) because of the species of wood. That's when I realized it wasn't my wife I had been texting,oops!!!!

Ooops is right !! LOL Can`t see well but looks like mahogany,, which is pretty common,, lot of stuff made from it,,whats the big deal ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:01 pm »
Ouch!  How embarrassing too!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!