Author Topic: Small cook stove type water heater - from Rome, GA  (Read 1030 times)

sojack

• View Profile
Small cook stove type water heater - from Rome, GA
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:32 pm »
Just joined today.  Interested if anyone knows about a small type of of wood stove that is actually a Water Heater ?  It is basically a small stove, but stores water.  The lettering shows that it was made at Southern Co Op Foundry in Rome, GA., and has the number 582 at the top/above the lettering on the stove. The stove is about knee high and has an opening for a vertical stove pipe and 2 removable round plates on top for cooking, water kettles, etc.   Any thoughts ?   Good to be a part of this.  Thanks...

mart

• View Profile
Re: Small cook stove type water heater - from Rome, GA
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:48:55 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the forum !!  Can you post pics of the water heater !!  Some wood cookstoves have a water container !! Have not seen a water heater that has cooking as an option !!  About how much does it hold ??  Need to see the firebox arrangement !!  There were many different designs !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:00:20 pm »
There were many stoves made that had hot water reservoirs in the late 1800's to early 1900's.  It not only supplied hot water to use for cleaning/ baths...but was also useful for "hot baths" for food.

Does your water reservoir have a tap on it?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sojack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:22:22 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  I will try to look closer this weekend.  Maybe come up with some pics.  Thanks again...

Jack