Author Topic: 9 Chinese Ceramic Men  (Read 2089 times)

Jellytip

• View Profile
9 Chinese Ceramic Men
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:49:44 pm »
The title lies, I have no idea if they are Chinese. There are 9 of them though, they apparently came back from Japan before the war, I only say Chinese because he brought back quite a bit from China. They are varying heights but fairly similar, just shorter than my coffee cup. Major apologies for the terrible photos, I can't find anywhere to get the lighting right.

They are all very very glossy, with the exception being the skin, very matte, almost rough. There are no markings of course. I am fairly certain the blue and purple one is Sau, but can't find anything on nine wise men, only three.

http://imgur.com/a/BgXMn

The link goes to an album of 8 photos, including the front and back of 3 I've randomly picked out. If anyone knows anything about them, please let me know!! :)

Ipcress

Re: 9 Chinese Ceramic Men
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:39:53 am »
They all look like Shou Lao, the God of Longevity. Sometime seen holding a peach and staff, sometimes with a crane at his feet, sometimes a scroll.

Quite well done, actually. Can i see one of the bases ?

Jellytip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »
Here is another terrible photo, http://i.imgur.com/VhnxQd7.jpg of one of the bases, they are all the same, no markings at all, but quite bright white inside.

Someone on another forum said : "They are 20th c Famille Rose figures, very nice quality. Not real valuable because of they are not real old." Does that sound correct to you?

Most of them are decorated with peaches, and there are scrolls and a crane, so I think it's definitely Shou Lao. Do you know why there would be 9?

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:57:23 am »
Yes, what they wrote on the other forum is correct, but I have no idea why there are 9...
 :) Mat

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:04 am »
Here is another terrible photo, http://i.imgur.com/VhnxQd7.jpg of one of the bases, they are all the same, no markings at all, but quite bright white inside.

Someone on another forum said : "They are 20th c Famille Rose figures, very nice quality. Not real valuable because of they are not real old." Does that sound correct to you?

Most of them are decorated with peaches, and there are scrolls and a crane, so I think it's definitely Shou Lao. Do you know why there would be 9?

" not really valuable because not really old "

Hmmmm. There are mid 20th Chinese antiques selling for more than mid 18th century. Some scrolls selling for tens of thousands that people might initially reject because they're " modern ".
In the right auction these would sell very well. They're well made, which is usually the biggest factor in any area of antiques and collectibles.
I can see auction results for figures from a similar period fetching hundreds of dollars.

daxu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »
new. doesn't look like mid 20 century

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 04:10:42 pm »
Didn't say they were.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
Didn't say they were.

Not you Ipcress,, the other forum she asked said 20th century !!

Jellytip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »
Sorry, am not sure if you are saying these are new or 20th c? I'm 99% certain these were purchased during WW2, and 100% certain we had them from the 60's on. Definitely not new new.