Author Topic: ANTIQUE IDENTIFICATION - FIGURINES  (Read 1949 times)

DLady

• View Profile
ANTIQUE IDENTIFICATION - FIGURINES
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:37:22 pm »
I need help identifying these two antique ceramic figurines.  Through much research, I have yet to find anything that resembles their finish and style to compare.  The only visible marks are of the numbers on the bottoms.  I have searched them over and over, but have seen no artist's marks or manufacturer's stamps.

The girl is 13 5/8" in height and weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz.  The boy is 13 1/2" high and weighs 3 lbs.  Though the boy has had some repair (hand), they both seem to be in pretty good shape considering their probable age.

I ask for help in identification, because I would like to sell them.  I'd love to know the origin, as well as the approximate age.  If anyone has an idea of their value, that would be wonderful too!

I will attempt to add photos.  I do have more.  Should any of you be interested in seeing additional pictures, please don't hesitate to contact me.  :-)

Thanks.
"DLady"

PS.  I'm having trouble loading the pictures in the attachments area, so I'm going to try this method.  Hopefully you'll be able to see them. 

http://tinypic.com/a/2va80/2

mart

• View Profile
Re: ANTIQUE IDENTIFICATION - FIGURINES
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:11:56 pm »
Could be your pics are too large for this site or wrong format !! Those links are difficult to use !! When you click on reply and then additional options to post a pic,, look below where it says attach and it will tell you the file types allowed and the maximum size for this site !!  Try just reducing the size and see if that helps !!

DLady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
Thanks, Mart.
I'm a "newbie," so I'm learning as I go. 
I do realize that my files are too large, but I need to figure out how to minimize.  :-/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:35:16 pm »
If you are using a regular digital camera,,you should have a photo imaging program on your computer where you can download the pic and resize it !!  Some of the other members can tell you about phone pics and such !! I have no clue about them !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:12:25 am »
DLady, use the "Save a copy for E-mail or Web" function, select "medium web view" and that will reduce them to the correct size for "uploading".

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:46 am »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:02:35 am »
Hi!  Can you please tell us what you believe they are made of?  Many of the older pieces were made of plaster.

However in the 1930's Cold Painted Bisque was very popular - even Disney used this on their figurines (and unfortunately it wears off easily over time).

Here is a pair of bisque figurines with the Cold Paint method that "resemble" your figurines.  This would be a great way for you to search.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1897784
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DLady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:01 am »
KC.  Thank you for the information.
I am no good at determining the exact material that these figurines are made of, except that they do have a similar "sound" when handling them, when compared to items I have that I know are bisque.  They are hollow on the inside.

To the public...I appreciate all of your responses thus far, and looking forward to hearing more.  :-)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:08 am »
You might want to search for "Austrian Terra Cotta Figurines" and see if you find something similar.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/140476104987?item=140476104987&vectorid=229466

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:54 pm »
There's certainly a central European look to the, like the Maresch factory which produced the Napoleon piece posted the other day.

I'd catalogue this as Bohemian or Austrian if i couldn't identify a maker.

DLady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:24:04 pm »
You guys are so helpful.
I'll check into the suggestions.
Thanks so much!