Author Topic: Help me ID some china  (Read 2412 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Help me ID some china
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:33:48 pm »
The blue tea cup/saucer is unmarked.  When I was looking at the back, I could see my hand on the other side, so is this bone china?

The orange power box is 6in across.  The bottom is only marked Limoges France. I can't make out the artist signature, it says 1905 under the sig.  I'm wondering if this box is old, or made to look old.  The paint on some parts is very good, but completely rubbed off on other spots.  There are a few spots around the rim that are a brownish clay color.  It looks like it wasn't painted over or it could be stains.
Also do you know any good indexes/sites listing artist names?  I've googled some different signed china the last few days and am having a hard time finding them.

rustyattic

• View Profile
Re: Help me ID some china
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:36:59 pm »

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:23:28 am »
Wish I could help you on the cup but your guess is as good as mine.  I inherited many tea cups that were unmarked.  They are generally valued at $18 - $25 set in very good condition in antique malls/shops. 

Trying to make out the signature on the powder box.  H. O. (or A) Pein?? R. or K.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:01:46 am »
Limoges along with many other companies, sold blanks that were hand painted at home, many of these ladies (most of them were) were very talented but you will never find their work in any artist database.   I suspect this could be the case with the powder box.  I have seen the cup & saucer pattern before but I don't know who the maker is.  GG

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:48 am »
Wish I could help you on the cup but your guess is as good as mine.  I inherited many tea cups that were unmarked.  They are generally valued at $18 - $25 set in very good condition in antique malls/shops. 

Trying to make out the signature on the powder box.  H. O. (or A) Pein?? R. or K.
I'll probably drop the cup, before I figure out who made it ;D

I've been googling variations of  h o peint & h o peinr with no luck.

Limoges along with many other companies, sold blanks that were hand painted at home, many of these ladies (most of them were) were very talented but you will never find their work in any artist database.   I suspect this could be the case with the powder box.

That's good to know, I can stop pulling my hair out trying to research these things!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:16:33 pm »
That is totally correct information gg27!  Thanks for including that tidbit of knowledge!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »
Limoges along with many other companies, sold blanks that were hand painted at home, many of these ladies (most of them were) were very talented but you will never find their work in any artist database.   I suspect this could be the case with the powder box.  I have seen the cup & saucer pattern before but I don't know who the maker is.  GG
Were there patterns the ladies used?  Or did they use their own?  Is there any demand for antique unpainted/blank pieces?  (I imagine one could just buy a cheap piece and strip the paint.)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:36 pm »
http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/limoges.htm

This will fill you in a bit on Limoges, I also have  a site with the known marks if you need it however it is not needed for this one !!  There is a possibility that your powder box could have been decorated here in the U.S. !!  The items decorated in France usually have distinct factory marks,, those that were sent here and other countries usually had Limoges, France with no factory mark !!

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »
Really good article, thanks Mart!  We had a recent estate buy out and the lady must have been an artist/hobbyist.  There's tons of Limoges dinnerware.  I found a box of blanks and test pieces.  She signed most of the dinnerware, she probably collected others, too. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:11:14 pm »
Back in the 70`s and 80`s china painting was very popular as a hobby !! There were many books with patterns at hobby shops !! I still have some I bought at a garage sale in storage !!