Author Topic: AK Kaiser W Germany - numbered plate  (Read 1256 times)

Diabudd

• View Profile
AK Kaiser W Germany - numbered plate
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:06:49 pm »
I only have one and it's smaller than a saucer. Please advise if anyone knows anything about them.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: AK Kaiser W Germany - numbered plate
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:44:31 am »
I would say it is a bread plate and dates from the mid 20th century. Western Germany was formed at the end of WWII. Kaiser is a big producer of all kinds of porcelain. Value in my area would only be a few dollars. Maybe 10.00 - 15.00 on a good day. They are usually transfer decorated as opposed to being hand painted.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:09 pm »
Coaster for glassware - the underside/base is a solid ridge near the edge for stability. Typically the face-up side has short straight sides to contain the condensation.  Try looking for Kaiser coasters.  They typically came in sets of 6 or 8 (depending on the subject) and were very popular in the mid 1900's.  

They also made sets of "butter pat plates" that are smaller, but people will mistake the coasters for them.  Butter pat plates are smaller and the underside/base ridge is towards the center of the piece (which would tip if a glass was small enough to fit in them).  Typically the face-up side has sides that gracefully curve upwards (allows for easy access with a butter knife).

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:53:46 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 06:06:24 am »
I agree with KC on that. I forgot about them.