Author Topic: Raleigh Sports 10 Speed Bicycle Early 70's Looking for Value & History RARE?  (Read 1205 times)

lasse143

• View Profile
I have been searching all over the internet for more information on this bike.  I have found 2 other people that have the same bike but they don't have much information either.

This is what I know so far (if all is true):

Bike made in England

Dates late 60's/early 70's (1971 is that date that people are guessing)

it's a 10 speed bike NOT a 3-speed - this is what is "tripping" people up.

does not have original pedals and the bike pump is missing.

does not have any serial numbers anywhere on the bike.  I have scoured it and the only mark there is an "X" on the bottom of the bike where the pedals come out of and that is it.

There is no mention of this bike in any of the catalogues on-line from the late 60's/early 70's

I have called Raleigh Experts, emailed websites and bike shops and they can't really help me since there is no serial number.  but everyone agrees, its a nice bike and it's rare.

I appreciate any input on the history or the value of this bike.  thanks!

I have more photos if anyone is interested. thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
So none of the people referred to you on this  site panned out?  Most date it to 1964.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/dating-old-10-speed-raleigh-sports-model-70088.html

Here is a 10 speed Raleigh Sport girls bike...any of the pictures resemble yours at all?
http://rideblog.wordpress.com/my-bikes/the-69-raleigh-sports/

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lasse143

• View Profile
No, I haven't had any luck with my post on the bikeforum site.  The experts I have spoken to either by email or phone just don't have any information.  Without a serial number, they are stumped and there is not  a serial number on the bike.  Just seems to be a bit of a mystery.

I contacted Raleigh in the US and the Customer Service person wasn't able to help me.  I did send him all my photos and he said he would ask around for me.

The bike was given to me and we don't have any use for the bike so I am thinking of putting it on Ebay as is and see what happens.

As for the link you posted, those are all 3 speed bikes and mine is a 10 speed.  That is where most of the confusion regarding the bike comes from.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
It is possible that an employee working at the factory made a bike for themselves and didn't have a serial number on it.  This wasn't uncommon in the past. 

Did you ever contact Raleigh Corporate in UK?  At least give it a try if you didn't.  There should be someone there to shed some light on this mystery.  :)
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lasse143

• View Profile
KC,

I did email them last week but have not heard back from anyone.  I did find 2 other people in the US that have this same bike and all the information I have is from them.  I would love to think that I have one of those 1 in a million bikes, but I am not getting my hopes up .. yet

lasse143