Author Topic: Currier and Ives Very Small Folio Litho  (Read 5343 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Currier and Ives Very Small Folio Litho
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 08:14:21 am »
That is good advice. I have a scanned image but I am not sure of the resolution. I tired to upload the scanned image to this site but it was not an acceptable format. I am going to see if I can change it and upload it here so you and others may have a better look. It also has a striped pattern on the back caused by light hitting it though slats or something for a long time. Thanks

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12:48 am »
My scanner creates JPEG images which are high compression low resolution. I can't convert it to a PDF or anything that will load here. The scan, although low resolution, is so mach better than that shaky cell phone shot. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 11:53:05 am »
I can't convert it to a PDF or anything that will load here.

Frogpatch, if the scanned image is on your PC ..... then use your photo prg to view it ..... and then under "file" select ...... "save as" ....... and in the new window there is a "save as type:" selection which you can choose what format you want the copy to be.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
When i said postcard reproduction before i didn't mean that which is necessarily intended for postage.

I could post umpteen examples of postcard sized reproductions of famous works which do not have a square for the stamp.

It may be more than that. I'm just wary of the text on the bottom and the manner in which it fades from left to right.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 07:56:32 am »
Ipcress, when I look at the text through a loop it appears that it is an imprint with identical features as the black in the print prior to coloring. It either did not print correctly leaving some ink missing in the center or it has worn off. Hard to tell and harder to describe. You can clearly see that the piece was first printed in black and the colors were over layed afterwards. My gut feeling is that is an early copy made from the original using similar techniques and possibly a giveaway. I see no sign of it ever being framed. But it will be framed and hanging in my office right beneath my news picture of Casey Stengel, Branch Rickey, Adlai Stevenson and Avril Harriman right before the world series.  Thanks

Cogar. I will try again. I opened it in picture manager which has no save as option. Thanks 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 08:28:50 am »
Lets see if this format is better. It should appear very close. I was able to convert it to a GIF in the scanner file. Thanks Cogar

Yeah, that is as good as it can be. Color is exact and size is a bit larger. You can see the color going out of the lines on the red hat on the right sideline if you look closely. You can double enlarge it. Imagine playing catcher with no protection including a glove.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:36:35 am by frogpatch »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 03:39:58 am »
Picture looks great but given its size of .........

Image Size 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches

I don't think it was a B&W and then "hand colored" .... but was actually printed in color.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 07:13:46 am »
Under a loop you can clearly see that the printing of the black has a distinctive stone pattern that is different from the colors. If you look at the red hat of the player on the right the color missed his hat and is on his face. These very small folios are documented as being done in the same method as the larger ones. They were both colored on assembly lines. The only snafu is that "they" say that large prints were only done in one size and very small prints were never done in large size.  The coloring is so basic that anyone with experience could do it in minutes. It is green wash, gold wash, flesh tone and a few highlights ts of red and blue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:18:05 am by frogpatch »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 05:38:39 am »
I will agree with you that the 6 hats and the 1 scarf was hand-painted “red” to denote the members of the team that was “up at bat”.

And we will just hafta agree to disagree on the following.

Given its size of 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches I’ll stick with my opinion that it is a “multi-color” print …. except for the above stated “red”.

Me thinks to “paint” all the colors on that picture it would require a “1 bristle” brush and a “full-view” magnifying glass and 2+ hours to complete.

I hardly think that a skilled person could/would precisely “hand paint” all of the different colors on that “print” …… but then severely “mess-up” when they applied the “red”.

The “Devil is in the detail”, ……. see below.