Author Topic: Need some help with identifing Poster, Print, Lithograph, etc  (Read 1540 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
I did some googling and mostly read about dot patterns.  For an untrained eye, do have any tips for telling the difference between lithos and posters/prints?

I think I mis-titled this poster as a lithograph:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360950656850?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Would you end the auction now or message the buyer right after the auction? 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Need some help with identifing Poster, Print, Lithograph, etc
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:35:26 pm »
Joe Namath by Leroy Nieman. Nice if you are a Jets fan. Poster or litho a lot of people would want that. Leroy Nieman is the most prolific artist of sports. Also the most recognizable. Look at a magazine picture with a glass. That is what a modern print looks like. There will be uniform dot patterns with a colors made up of dots of other colors all the same size. It does not always mean that it is not valuable. Look at old movies posters. They are prints and some sell for thousands. Lithographs are prints too but they are created with a stone or plate. The pattern mat still have dots gut they will be all different sizes and shapes. Sometimes the lithographs are hand colored over black lines.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need some help with identifing Poster, Print, Lithograph, etc
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:24 pm »
On ebay,,anytime you are not sure,,just put a question mark after the word !! And list both options !! Similar to this,, Joe Namath by Leroy Neiman,, Lithograph ?? Print ?? !!
Then describe it !! That would let any one interested know that you are not sure !! If you just tell them,,they will understand !! Buying a litho and then finding out it is a print,,might not be good !!