Author Topic: Antique Portrait Plate & Glass Paperweight?  (Read 1147 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Antique Portrait Plate & Glass Paperweight?
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »
I purchased these 2 items from the TS today and searched for others like them and haven't found the lady on the plate yet or anything like the paperweight.

This first one is a portrait plate of a lady that is about 7 3/8" wide. I think it's transfer ware and possibly some hand painting on it, I'm not sure. I'm thinking it was made late 1800's or early 1900's. It has 1 hole in the bottom rim to hang it by, could have been put in at a later time I guess. There are no maker marks on the plate that I can find.

The second item I think is a paperweight for lack of what else to call it, perhaps glass art? Anyways, it's about 4" wide and has gold gilt paint and a heavy painted flower (thick paint, about 1/16th of an inch thick) and heavy painted gold swirls above the flower with about the same thickness. You wouldn't want to put anything in it since it would ruin the painted art work inside of it.

Does anyone know when the plate was made, where it was made and who might have made it? Also, does anyone know anything about the paperweight, when and where it might have been made and who made it?

Thanks!
Kevin

Mat

• View Profile
Re: Antique Portrait Plate & Glass Paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:47:22 am »
I think the "paperweight" is Murano, somewhere from the 1950s to 1970s, maybe it is rather a small decorative bowl or an ashtray? The porcelain plate, as it bears no makers marks, has likely been painted on a blank in some porcelain painting studio, maybe around 1900 (the date is just a guess).
Mat

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Antique Portrait Plate & Glass Paperweight?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:00:02 am »
Mat, it could be a small decorative glass bowl. The Plate I would agree it was a porcelain blank plate painted around 1900. The 1 hole in the rim was a little unusual, I'm use to seeing 2 holes in the bottom rim to hang it with.

Kevin