Author Topic: Can any one help with merita menu sign  (Read 1522 times)

Jas3924

• View Profile
Can any one help with merita menu sign
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »
I'm hoping someone here can tell me something about this sign like the value or where it might have been used. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Can any one help with merita menu sign
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:08 am »
It looks to me like a circa 1950’s “lunch counter” sandwich menu “sign” that would have been given free to the retailer by the Merita bakery company and thus would be considered an “advertising” collectible.

The retailer would "insert" his/her sandwich's names, prices, etc. in the slots on the sign.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:56:50 am »
Right !! That was back in the good old days !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:51:05 am »
Yepper cogar got it head on!  I used to see (and still do) see items like this in the mom/pop stores that have a sandwich counter in the back of their stores.

You see/saw these in the southeast quite often!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jas3924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:23:52 am »
Thanks for the replies. I thought that's probably what it was used for. Does anyone know what it might be worth

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:04:19 pm »
Jas3924, don't know what area you are in.  What is the size of it?  That will help determine value.

The cost appreciated is dependent upon the demand.  If you are in a trendy area it will go higher.  If you are in a small town or country area...it will go lower or not at all.  If it was Coca Cola, A&W Root Beer or a nationally famous name it would go for more.  But depending where you are, Merita is a recognized name in the SE.

My best recommendation if that you search "vintage diner soda fountain menu sign" and "antique menu sign" to see what they are selling for.  Many people are listing them on Ebay for $200 up...but they aren't selling.  So, unless you need to sell it fast, look around and see what the market is.  There are a few that have offers on Ebay...Sellers are listing them for a price with best offer!  Monitor those if this is the route you are going to take.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:10:27 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
Yep !!  What KC said !!

Jas3924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:10:46 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'm in nc, it's roughly a foot tall by two feet long. I'm not really looking to sell just curious about it. I've googled it before but could never find one that looked like it for sale or anything