Author Topic: Hand carved war scene photos  (Read 1472 times)

kq.echo.13

• View Profile
Hand carved war scene photos
« on: June 29, 2014, 06:40:36 am »
My husband and I stumbled across these photos while antiquing yesterday, I have researched the information on the back of the photos and cannot find anything close to these.  They are battle scenes created using hand carved figurines, very life like and detailed.  They are stamped "Marine Corps Photography"  If anyone knows this type of photography or any info about the history of the pictures, please share with us.  The size of the photos or prints are approximately 15" x 12".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:49:10 am by kq.echo.13 »

kq.echo.13

• View Profile
Re: Hand carved war scene photos
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:51:47 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:23:50 am »
Curious as to how you know they are hand carved ?? Does it state that anywhere ??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:40:40 am »
These were done for the Marine Heritage Museum at Quantico, VA !!  They have many recreated battle scenes there !!  These could be the preliminary studies or copies sold for those who toured the museum !!

kq.echo.13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »
Thank You Mart!!!  We have been researching the photos and not the museum, we love the prints/photos and will be framing them!!!

kq.echo.13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »
Mart, they looked far too detailed to be machined for the period they appear to be from, that is why we assumed (guessed) that they were hand carved figurines, never the less very interesting to us!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:55:21 pm »
The info was from a blog related to military life and spoke of these recreations !! I assume when they were doing the exhibit they needed something to go by to get the scenes correct,, its possible that these were their sketches, so to speak !! I believe they have recreated scenes from every involvement the Marines were in !!  My stepson is a marine although inactive and retired from federal service !! I will ask him if he is familiar with the scenes and photos !! He spent some time in Quantico and is a history buff so he may know of them !!