Author Topic: Antique 1800's Wedgwood Light Blue Dip Jasperware Sugar Bowl?  (Read 6925 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique 1800's Wedgwood Light Blue Dip Jasperware Sugar Bowl?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 09:26:53 am »
It sure looks like Wedgewood Jasperware....but it is one of those that the museum can answer immediately.  Otherwise the feel of an item really makes a difference if you have handled enough of them.

Beautiful pieces.  Not sure how I missed the original posts.

Hopefully Ipcress will be along soon!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 08:45:02 pm »
Ok, thanks Mart and KC! :)

Kevin

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »
I'll check my e-mails tomorrow ( can't login from here ) but i'll have a repsonse. ( probably have hundreds with being away for weeks  )

I think they're good pieces - be nice to know exactly though.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »
BTW, did you reply about the impressed number on one of the bases ? Can partially see it in one of the images

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 07:33:17 pm »
Welcome back Ipcress! :) The Sugar Bowl is impressed on the bottom with the number 24 and the teapot has the number 24 impressed into the bottom and writing in some kind of ink that I think says "VVC" or "VVL" and I think the number "101" but I'm not sure. The creamer has the number 30 impressed into the bottom and writing in some kind of ink that I think says "creamer" the number "49" with a line through it and the number "101".

Thanks!
Kevin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:36:03 pm by KevinM »

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 04:11:53 am »
The pencil marks are just shop or seller stock info - don't think it's 101, more likely it's " 10/- " for ten shillings, no pence ( in old GB money )

Anyway - i've come back to a mountain of stuff so i'll crack on !

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 04:19:27 am »
My smiter has returned. Pathetic, whoever you are.

Ben at the museum seems to think they might be early Dudson, who copied some of the Wedgwood patterns. I've e-mailed Dudson's museum to confirm.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:03 am »
The pencil marks are just shop or seller stock info - don't think it's 101, more likely it's " 10/- " for ten shillings, no pence ( in old GB money )

Ipcress, now that I look at it I think you are right, it is a "10/" and I had no idea that would have been for ten shillings, no pence in old GB money. Thanks for that information as I would have been clueless to that fact.

That's great news that Ben at the museum has looked at the pottery. I would never have guessed Dudson, I looked around on the internet after reading this and haven't found any like the ones I have made by Dudson yet but I am still looking. Let's wait and see what the Dudson museum has to say as I'm sure they would know if they made it.

Thanks!
Kevin

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 12:36:20 pm »

Ipcress, now that I look at it I think you are right, it is a "10/" and I had no idea that would have been for ten shillings, no pence in old GB money. Thanks for that information as I would have been clueless to that fact.

That's great news that Ben at the museum has looked at the pottery. I would never have guessed Dudson, I looked around on the internet after reading this and haven't found any like the ones I have made by Dudson yet but I am still looking. Let's wait and see what the Dudson museum has to say as I'm sure they would know if they made it.

Thanks!
Kevin

If you look at the following page you'll see how they copied Wedgwood's Dancing Hours pattern to the finest detail. Also, the jug at the bottom is a similar period to yours ( also marked 24 ) and also bears a Wedgwood designed pattern - classical muses and figures between those column partitions

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/shopping/20754-Dudson-1-bin.html

On this Ebay page you'll see a very similar teapot but 1877 Wedgwood. Same shape, very similar pattern but a wonderful finial.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-WEDGWOOD-COBALT-BLUE-JASPERWARE-TEA-POT-WIDOW-FIGURE-FINIAL-/380925168395?pt=UK_PotteryPorcelain_Glass_PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item58b0e8cb0b&nma=true&si=I9aZRXv%252FXlEJb5LsZdZ3Tz9ldpo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think if we looked long enough we'd find the equivalent Dudson teapot

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 09:02:31 am »
Ipcress and KC, those links with the Dudson and Wedgwood items and information seem very convincing to me that the items I have are made by Dudson. Will be curious to see what the Dudson museum responds with.

Thanks!
Kevin