Author Topic: Commemorative Mint if lost return address key fob - possibly made from gold?  (Read 1325 times)

agreeneyes

• View Profile
I've come to the experts again as they've helped me so much in the past to identify my items.  The company name on the back is Commemorative Mint,  I believe they've changed the name to The Commemorative Mint as they have the same P O Box 8 on their newer key fobs.  This appears to be older with an Egyptian motif.  I don't possess  a gold testing kit but when I rub the back of the fob on the bottom rim of a white coffee cup a gold coloring appears.  I read this tip for testing for gold on the internet and it's worked with other gold items I've tested.  Could this possibly be made from gold.  The front doesn't appear to be gold but could it have a metal overlay of some kind.  Because of the bluing oxidation the raised design could be brass. Does anyone know with the Egyptian motif what organization this might have been made for?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  thank you

mart

• View Profile
Something tells me that they would not make something out of gold and just say "drop in any mailbox" !!  That wouldn`t be smart !! I think its just different shades of brass or toned background then the high points buffed to the shine !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
I appreciate the information what you do say makes a lot of sense.  When I rub an item made of brass on the bottom of the coffee cup rim it makes a black mark.  I tried this several times and every time I rub this on the bottom of the cup it makes a gold mark.  This is why I questioned this.  Thank you

mart

• View Profile
Could be a thin gold plate too !! Just defies logic to drop anything made of gold in a mailbox !!  Imagine a thief would have a field day with these if that were the case !!  But have it checked to be sure !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
I will, thank you