Author Topic: Need identification please  (Read 1574 times)

HarleyGram

• View Profile
Need identification please
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:49 am »
Hello.  I'm trying to find out what type of cup this is.  My guess is it's from the 1800's as it has my great-great-grandmother's initials on it.  Thanks!!

wilhenri

• View Profile
Re: Need identification please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:43:48 am »
I will say it looks awkward to drink out of because of the design. Have you tried drinking from it ?  I know the Victorians were keen on what we call Ice cream and they called Creamed Ice this does look more like a desert dish of some sort but its just a guess

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:45:29 am by wilhenri »
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

HarleyGram

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:48 am »
Thanks for your reply.   The cup is quite small and holds just an ounce of liquid (hadn't thought to try that before posting).   It's not as awkward to drink from as you'd think.  The whole thing measures about 2" in height so it's quite small.  The shape is different than any I've been able to find.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:24:10 am »
Possibly a communion cup ??

HarleyGram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:46:12 am »
Communion cup was a thought I had as well.  It's the rim that has me baffled.   Someone suggested it could be a salter?   I am clueless when it comes to antiques, so am thankful I found this site.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:28:46 am »
With the footed pedestal that would indicate to me that it was meant to be held between the fingers !!  Not sure it would be easy to retrieve salt from with that shape !!  Also wrong shape for an egg cup !!  Perhaps others will give an opinion !!  Many heads are better than one !!  Is it brass ??