Author Topic: Unmarked Sterling Silver Cups  (Read 954 times)

TNJChris

• View Profile
Unmarked Sterling Silver Cups
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »
Are there any Sterling Silver items out there that are valuable that have no marks? I came across a set of 6 of these and didn't hesitate to sell them for scrap silver. They were extremely thin and have only "Sterling" stamped on the bottom. I would imagine anything that was unmarked and valuable would be a very heavy gauge silver as to not damage so easily. Any thoughts?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Unmarked Sterling Silver Cups
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »
Not true my friend!  Sterling items can be thin or thick!  And, they can still have value....not necessarily for scrap only.

Many items made in the earlier years didn't necessarily have makers hallmarks on them.  Of the course the larger foundries established themselves and built reputations to "tout" their marks.  Even some of their early pieces may not have had their mark on them!

How big are your little treasures there?  Can you take a pic of them all together?  With a quarter next to them (this is always good for establishing size) or a common coin. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

TNJChris

• View Profile
Re: Unmarked Sterling Silver Cups
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:10:41 am »
They were about 3-4 inches tall and the top was about 2.5 inches wide. They're already gone so I hope they weren't worth too much.  :'( lesson learned!