Author Topic: Circus artifacts  (Read 1635 times)

Wulfe

• View Profile
Circus artifacts
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:30:16 am »
Hey guys,

I picked these two items up at an auction a few months ago. They came from a very famous collection of an auctioneer who collected the weird and the wonderful.
No information was supplied, I know there was a  Bill Strong in the circus scene back in the 30s...I just have no idea what they are exactly, obviously you can stick your head through the holes but as they're only 1 metre tall does that mean they're for kids? Could be they be genuinely from that time period?
If there are any circus experts lend me your wisdom.

Brent

Wulfe

• View Profile
Re: Circus artifacts
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:36:14 am »
More photos

Wulfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:38 am »
More photos

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:16 pm »
http://yesterdaystowns.blogspot.com/2007/06/hazel-king-6-1930s-parker-watts-circus.html

There is this Bill Strong in Gibsonton, Fla. !! Could be the same one or a relative !! Has a BlogSpot so try emailing him !!
Things of this sort were common on the midway of Fairs or the Circus !!

Wulfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:49:44 pm »
Hey Mart,

yup already tried contacting the people who run that blogspot, even the sideshowworld.com mob, no one has been able to offer me any information yet.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »
That's odd !! As far as the age,,except for the fairly new looking wood on that side support,, I see no reason they couldn`t be from that era !! The artwork looks correct as well as the aging of the paint that I can see !!  The smaller object look to be part of a bean bag/ball toss game of some type !!  I do not think these two things go together !!
By the time I was going to fairs ect ( 50`s) they were already obsolete !! So 30`s or 40`s is what I would expect !!

Wulfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:24:52 pm »
Awesome!
Thanks Mart, I didn't even think of the Egyptian one being for a game, that will give me something more to work with

cheers,
Brent