Author Topic: What is being depicted on this pewter plate?  (Read 1946 times)

genesisvh

• View Profile
What is being depicted on this pewter plate?
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »
I have a plate made from pewter which I'm assuming from the hallmarks on the back. It has a beautiful carving on the face of the plate. It looks a Roman centurion maybe Biblical. Would anyone have a clue? Thanks everyone.

Mat

• View Profile
Re: What is being depicted on this pewter plate?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:06:07 am »
Hi, this is just a guess, but the scene could be from the Old Testament. I think the bearded man is Moses with the Tablets of the Law in front of the Tabernacle, and the tents in the background would then be the camp of the Israelites in the desert. The Soldier would then not be a Roman, but an Israelite. Maybe someoner else knows better which exact scene is depicted here. The plate is nice, and to me it looks old, it coud even be from the early 19th century (that is only my guess). The right mark is for Karlsbad in Bohemia, the S W Feinzinn means "Schlaggenwalder Feinzinn" (Zinn is German for pewter, Schlaggenwald is a town near Carlsbad). The left mark I cannot decipher, but the writing around the rose in the middle should be the name of the maker... Could it be Anton Heilingötter? A better photo of the mark would help!
Regards, Mat

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:58:05 am »
I just want to add that the "soldier" could be Joshua...

genesisvh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:59:24 am »
Thanks Mat. I think you might be right. I just have to look into it a little further and figure which story is being told about Moses. Also thank you for the extra info on the artist as well. I love the craftsmanship done on this piece. Thanks again. 

genesisvh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:58:59 am »
Found another plate made by Anton Heilingötter. Look at the markings they are very similar.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1-von-2-Karlsbad-Bohmen-1790-Meister-Anton-Heilingotter-Karlovy-Vary-Carlsbad-/201129866181