Author Topic: Sugar Tong - How Old???  (Read 2274 times)

Mat

• View Profile
Sugar Tong - How Old???
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:14:59 am »
Hi all,
I bought this sugar tong ( or that is what I think this is...). It measures 15 cm and is made of silver that is gilt. I am not absolutely sure that it is silver, as there are no marks at all on it. But despite the considerable wear at some points there is no other base metal visible, only the gilding has come off. Has anyone an idea as to its age and origin???
Thank you,
Mat  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:50:37 am by Mat »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Tong - How Old???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:00:30 pm »
Hi Mat!  Cute little sugar tongs or as some say, sugar nips.

It is hard to tell from the picture if it is silver.  Does it tarnish like silver?  They made so many types of metals to "resemble" silver over the years that unless 1) marked silver plate or sterling  2) tarnished  3) showing underlying metal under wear areas  4) magnet test (precious metals aren't magnetic) 5) tests silver using a silver testing acid kit - you have to surmise that it isn't silver.  

As for dating the piece...hard to say.  Would guess from early 1900's from style...but styles are replicated.

Any idea on the history of the piece?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:27:01 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:22:11 pm »
May be EP,, some European was not marked as such !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:12:36 am »
Thank you, KC and mart!
Unfortunately the piece has no history, I just bought it at an antique shop. Yes, it tarnishes like silver, and I do not think it is plated, as it has broken in one place, so the inside is visible. It seems to be solid, and tarnishes also at that point. The gilding has come off to quite some extent, so It could have some age. I guess you are right about early 1900s, KC
Mat

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:38 am »
Since pure silver has the highest thermal conductivity of any metal, a fast easy (non scientific) test would be to see how the piece reacts with an ice cube. Ice melts fairly quick when it comes in contact with silver.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:29:31 pm »
Rauville metals conduct heat and melt ice fast.  Fun experiment is to put an ice cube on a few surfaces (wooden cutting board, plastic cutting board, cast iron pan, etc.)  The cast iron will melt it fastest!  :)  Notice most ice creams scoops are made of aluminum or stainless...
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:35:46 pm »
Thank you, KC and mart!
Unfortunately the piece has no history, I just bought it at an antique shop. Yes, it tarnishes like silver, and I do not think it is plated, as it has broken in one place, so the inside is visible. It seems to be solid, and tarnishes also at that point. The gilding has come off to quite some extent, so It could have some age. I guess you are right about early 1900s, KC
Mat

If its gold over a silver base would have to be plated in some fashion !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:28:17 am »
mart, yes, of course, it has been gold-plated in some way, and the gold has worn off in some places so the base material can be seen. When I say that it is solid, I refer to the base material. Rauville, I did your little experiment and put the tongs on an ice cube and an iron (not steel) knife on another to compare. Indeed the tongs went right through the ice cube melting it in less than a minute. The iron knife had just sunk into the cube a little bit in the same time. Whatever that means, it was quite interesting to see!
Mat  :)