Author Topic: Silver and Jade? Salt and pepper shakers. Chinese?  (Read 2227 times)

joemg311

• View Profile
Silver and Jade? Salt and pepper shakers. Chinese?
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:30:50 am »
Howdy folks. Haven't been around in a bit. New puppy and very pregnant wife have kept me busy and away from my antique habit. I happened to "find" an estate sale that was on the way to the hardware store and found this beautiful salt and pepper shaker set or ehh pepper shaker and salt spoon and container thingy :D

They measure about 1 1/2'' tall and 1 1/8'' in diameter. I'm no expert but it seems like the lid to the salt container is solid silver, and everything else is silver plate over maybe copper? The rim on the inside of one shake has a dent and some green coloring near the damage. The center cylinders are very heavy and solid stone. These are very similar to ones that sold on ebay as Chinese silver and Jade. I know it is hard to tell by pictures but any guesses as to age, origin and material?    ??? Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Silver and Jade? Salt and pepper shakers. Chinese?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:09:46 pm »
Hi there and welcome back !!  Congrats on both the soon to be new member of the family and the new puppy !!  Post a pic of the baby when it gets here !! We know it won`t be an "antique" but what the heck,, we want to see it anyway !!  Oh,, and the puppy too !!   :D

What a neat salt cellar and pepper shaker !!  Are there no markings on any of them !!   The spoon would be the most likely to be sterling so look at it !!  Might need a magnifying glass !!

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:53 am »
So on the outside of both metal sleeves are some symbols scratched in. They can not be seen unless you take these things apart so I'm assume they are just for manufacturing purposes. Here are a picture of the symbols I wrote them down as best I could because a good picture isn't possible. The only piece I'm sure of being silver is the lid that comes with the salt cellar. I get that beautiful silver ping when I bounce it on my desk.  Also is a picture of our now 5 month hold husky mix Nola.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:42:33 am by joemg311 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:37 pm »
Wow !!  $898. and 31 bids !!  Not bad !!  Odd that they didn`t say if sterling or silver plate !!  So the jade is the important part !! Since they said that the rings were fitted with the mounts !!  Like it was done at a later time !!

What beautiful eyes Nola has !!  Bet she is spoiled rotten as all mine are !!  Of course our big dogs are all roadside finds !! A black Lab, a Scottish deerhound and a Lab/ Shepherd mix !!

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »
Thank you and yes she is very very spoiled. I love her but I don't think I could handle 3 of her at once! My coworker found her wondering around a bad neighbor hood in Chicago when she was only 2 months old at most. She is a super sweet snuggly pup.