Author Topic: Carlton Ware Kang Hsi Vase  (Read 1920 times)

Niels

• View Profile
Carlton Ware Kang Hsi Vase
« on: November 11, 2014, 01:47:17 pm »
Picked up this great looking vase today. My first thought was: Yes! an old chinese vase! Till I had a closer look... A bit of a dissapointment but bought it anyway, it was only a few bucks  ;). Did a little research on the web and found many Carltons but none with a similar pattern. The pattern that comes close is 'Kang Hsi'. The big question I'm having is, is the vase complete? What do you think, shouldn't there be a lid?  :-\

mart

• View Profile
Re: Carlton Ware Kang Hsi Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:46 pm »
What does the top edge and the inside look like ??  Don`t know why anyone would need a lid with a vase since flowers go in the top !! Can`t use a top if its full of flowers !!  Another type of container,,,maybe, but not a vase !!

Niels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »
What does the top edge and the inside look like ??  Don`t know why anyone would need a lid with a vase since flowers go in the top !! Can`t use a top if its full of flowers !!  Another type of container,,,maybe, but not a vase !!

:). You're right. But i've seen 'vases' similar in shape with a lid on top. Mostly chinese or delfts. They were used as decoration in a cabinet for example. The inside rim has a bit of fritting but is gold glazed just as the outside.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:44 pm »
Produced by Wiltshaw and Robinson 1890 to 1957 in Stoke on Trent England. The fact that it does not sat England would normally date it at the early end of the range if it was made for export to the US. The McKinley Tariff Act required the country of origin. It is the wrong shape for a ginger jar so I would say no lid. It is a very decorative piece.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:29:06 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:03:02 pm »

:). You're right. But i've seen 'vases' similar in shape with a lid on top. Mostly chinese or delfts. They were used as decoration in a cabinet for example. The inside rim has a bit of fritting but is gold glazed just as the outside.

But if it has a lid then it is not a vase but another container type !! It makes a difference when you are searching for an item !! Ginger jars and others had lids !!
Perhaps that's why you didn`t find another like it !!  Its possible that this had a lid at some time and is just a decorative container !! I am sure there are names for these but I can`t think of them other than the Ginger Jars !!  Maybe someone else can tell you what they are called !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:07:39 pm »
What do you mean?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:02:33 pm »
Frogpatch ,, we have been getting a few of these posts lately on the other forums. Makes no sense what they say and does not relate to anything !! Bringing up some older posts too !! No idea why !!  Figured a spammer of some sort !!