Author Topic: Walnut Desk/Table - can anyone help with identifying its origins, pretty please?  (Read 5276 times)

mart

• View Profile
Every time I look at it,, more questions pop up !!  Are those key holes over the legs ??

At this point KC, I am not sure about anything !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I would love to see a picture of the underside of it!

I'm a thinkin' it is a table with drawer.  Have seen these made to hold flatware, etc.

Every time I look at the closeup of that pattern I see different figures/faces/etc.  LOL

It just looks "too" perfect to be a true cut. (Does look wallpapered Cogar.)   And if it is...wowsa'!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile

(Does look wallpapered Cogar.)   And if it is...wowsa'!

KC, I just called it "wallpapered" because of the duplicated conjoined patterns.

In actuality .... I'm pretty sure it is .... (large format) computer generated (and printed) "grain painting".

Iffen they can "print" this in the icing on a cake .....

They can just as easily "grain paint" a table top.  ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
If not one of those, that's one heck of a job of bookmatching !!
Hey,, does anyone remember the table (I think it was a table) we had a while back that had the same sort of top ??  The one we saw the faces and figures on ??  It was done in almost the same manner as this !!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:25:40 pm by mart »

logan09

• View Profile
enlarge that pic of the top and see if anything strikes you as odd about it !!

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I looked at the pictures. It doesn't look "right" at all to me. The grain it self seems "blotchy" to me. Maybe it's just the pictures I don't know. Also the fact that I see NO seams at all in the veneer!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:46:59 pm by logan09 »

cogar

• View Profile
And ps: here is a "link" I just found ..... that tell you how to "print on wood"  using your own computer and printer.

http://lifehacker.com/four-uses-for-your-printer-that-dont-involve-paper-1611979737

niemanda

• View Profile
Thanks for all the input, people  :)

I'm not claiming ownership, just trying to figure out what it is and whether it has any value... I find this piece particularly intriguing, somehow...

It sounds like you all think its a reproduction rather than an antique, and since you mentioned seeing the underneath I've had a look and it looks 'machined' rather than put together by hand to me, so I'm thinking you're correct... And yes, I definitely see a repeating pattern on the top there...

The owner of the barn (and the rest of the land and property I'm managing) doesn't seem to know much about it. I spoke to him yesterday, and he thinks (!) he has keys for it "somewhere", and "thinks" that his brother MAY have brought it back from Europe a few years ago... but they don't speak to each other any more (!), so he can't say for sure... Supporting this 'brought back from Europe' hypothesis are holes drilled underneath which may have been made by customs officials (!), due to one of the keys being absent, he says...

(It's THAT kind of a place - two of the barns are full of things like this (hidden amongst vast piles of junk) which I have no clue about, but he's told me that if I can get a decent price for any of it to go ahead and feel free to sell stuff, OR use it in the house here...)

Again, thanks for your detective work! And yes, those ARE drawers with keyholes over the legs...

cogar

• View Profile
(It's THAT kind of a place - two of the barns are full of things like this (hidden amongst vast piles of junk)

Oh my goodness, ..... you shouldn't have told us that.

Why some of us won't be able to sleep tonight.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
I was pretty sure it was a 20th century reproduction but only having pics to go by,,hated to say for sure that it was !! At any rate It could be used as KC said as a table or as a desk so it should be easy to sell as well as being a period design !!I would say a conservative estimate in the UK would be between $500. and $750. USD !!  Would be at least that much here if not more if in excellent condition !!  Hope he finds those keys !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I would love to have 2 barns of stuff to crawl through and drool over!  :)  Sleepless night a coming....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
I would love to have 2 barns of stuff to crawl through and drool over!  :)  Sleepless night a coming....

Especially if they are full of things like this desk/table !!
Wonder if she needs some help !!