Author Topic: Chinese Cloud Collar  (Read 1570 times)

BGSTOCK

• View Profile
Chinese Cloud Collar
« on: December 06, 2014, 01:57:51 pm »

I was reading the info on cloud collars from many years ago and an individual named Yunjan was very informative.
 I have a question in terms of what I have. I bought 3-4  pieces of Chinese embroidery about  15 years ago and I have 2 items on a side tables under a glass top.  I cannot see any opening on the cloud collar or badge, it seems like a whole piece. The work is extremely detailed and I want to find any info on  the Chinese things I have, to see if any of my children want them. I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you.

Barbara

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Cloud Collar
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=4913.0

Here is one owned by one of our members,,Talesofthesevenseas !! She and KC can probably give you more information about yours !! The last pic just looks like  piece of needlework as an art piece !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:23:08 am »
It is in the design of a cloud collar - but isn't made like one.  They are generally stitched so that there will be an opening.  It is a beautiful piece!

What is the size of the piece?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:35:26 am »
I agree, if it were an actual cloud collar there would have to be a slit to open it behind the neck and the center hole would be empty. It looks like someone admired them and made this stitchery to be a decoration. It's beautiful nonetheless, the embroidery is lovely. At first I thought it was a collar that had been stitched closed, but there is no sign of the slit.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

BGSTOCK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »
Tales, thank you for your response. I am not at home now but when  I go back I will try to take and post better pictures. The pieces are indeed beautiful.
I got them about 15 years ago,from a neighborhood yard sale and the person said that her father got them a number of years before that, when he left China.

I have problems typing a PM response on an iPad but not with email. I am still learning how t answer to the forum and take pictures.

Thanks and I wii write again
B

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:25 pm »
I read that the cloud collars were worn at special occasions such as weddings !! Although not a lot of value in money,, I would say its value as art exceeds the dollars and cents !!