Author Topic: HARTWIG KANTOROWICZ unidentified bottle  (Read 1881 times)

nikkiandace

• View Profile
HARTWIG KANTOROWICZ unidentified bottle
« on: December 20, 2014, 06:06:19 am »
Okay...So ive looked everywhere and cannot for the life of me identify this bottle. So hopefully you guys can help me figure this badboy out. Here we go...

I have a old Hartwig Kantorowicz bottle. Im GUESSING bitters. Height is a little less then 10 inches. Bottle itsrlf is in beautiful shape. Labels however are partially there and just hanging on. Looks like it was corked. I'm not familiar with bottles but looking at it, the glass tilts inward like it was corked. The labels are in German. The front label is partial...however in bold and larger then the other print reads "ummel no 0" underneath that "alcohol by volume 42% alcoholic strength 84 proof" followed by a paragraph of German. The back label "berliner. Ummel no 0. 1st int case." Followed by more German with a Hartwig signature, "gesellschaft", and the date 1823. It has a Unique shape to the bottle itself. It's rectangular yet rounded but cut to look like it's 8 sided. The bottle itself has on one side "berlin" and the other side "hartwig kantorowic". "Hartwig kantorowicz" in cursive is on also down the front under label. HARTWIG KANTOROWICZ, NACHFOLGER, BERLIN is the most similiar bottle ive seen however NACHFOLGER is no where on this bottle. If someone could help me out id greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: HARTWIG KANTOROWICZ unidentified bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:27:29 am »
Hello and welcome;
I'm guessing since "Nachfolger" is German for "Successor" that your bottle was produced prior to the sale of the Kantorowicz company in 1920. http://antiquebottlepickers.com/bottle_articles237.htm

The company started in 1823, and there seems to be any amount of different types and styles of bottles that were used. http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Hartwig-Kantorowicz-varities-m45235.aspx

nikkiandace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:50:51 pm »
Hello and thanks. Yes ive seen those sites. Problem is though that this particular bottle is not on them. The jewish star rare bottle shape and appeal looks similar but there is no star on my bottle. So cant be that. And the label and bottle itself doesnt say nachfolger but it as well looks similar. I agree its more than most likely dated before 1920. Im guessing this particular bottle is rare bc ive yet to see one picture where its spot on. Then again, theres really not much info on this company.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:00 pm »
http://www.peachridgeglass.com/2013/12/history-of-kantorowicz-family-and-their-factory/

Look at the bottom of this history for the company and see if your bottle is pictured !! They have quite a few !!  I think yours may have been a bitters bottle but need to check more tomorrow !! They produced 22 different liquors/bitters so may take a while !!