Author Topic: Music Box  (Read 1566 times)

zongda

• View Profile
Music Box
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:15:40 pm »
Hey everyone,

I recently got ahold of a music box, and was wondering how much it's worth/how old it is. It doesn't look too old, but I wanted to check just in case. I was planning on removing the movement and using it in my own custom box, so my question is:

Does anyone know how much the box itself is worth, the movement, and both combined? Did the movement originally come in that box or was it mounted in that box at a later date?

My observations of the box/movement:
-it plays Music of the Night, which is referenced as #6231
manufactured by Reuge
-18 notes
-there is a crude on/off mechanism triggered by opening the glass lid of the box, but it does not work so the music box will play when its wound, -regardless of the state of the lid
-the box seems to be made of brass? its a bit corroded in places, but the designs are nice.
-the flap covering the music mechanism is made of cardboard covered in felt

Anyways, if anyone can offer some insight into the box's origins and its value (and advice as to whether or not I should remove the movement for my own use), please let me know!

Thanks!

Images can be viewed here: http://imgur.com/juSaFIk,DuysBsC,bwSflBm,nXtD5zX,lJngAaj,DJoSZTK,742Ci6x,Bbv42bu,fnKJZRx,KMsNOg9

zongda

• View Profile
Re: Music Box
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:11 pm »
Sorry, accidentally clicked the "post" button twice.
Someone please delete.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:21 pm »
Not sure what your box is designed for but Reuge made a lot of cigarette boxes and they are pretty hot right now !!  I would not take it apart !!  Why not just buy the musical movements for your project !! Look on ebay they usually have all kind of items like that !! Keep the box as is !!  You can find Reuge music boxes on ebay too !!
Sorry,, I forgot to say welcome to the group !!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:53:19 pm by mart »

zongda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:26:28 pm »
Not sure what your box is designed for but Reuge made a lot of cigarette boxes and they are pretty hot right now !!  I would not take it apart !!  Why not just buy the musical movements for your project !! Look on ebay they usually have all kind of items like that !! Keep the box as is !!  You can find Reuge music boxes on ebay too !!
Sorry,, I forgot to say welcome to the group !!

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome!

endarn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:03:37 pm »
I was like you do not like change.