Author Topic: It's been awhile! Hi! Rare Book Question:)  (Read 3885 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
It's been awhile! Hi! Rare Book Question:)
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:00 am »
Hi everyone! It has been awhile since I've been on here. I've had many surgeries and my father passed away. I've just been though a lot. I have this book and I have contacted many rare book places about it. They do not seem to know anything about the book. One of them did mention that it is more than likely rare/scarce. I was wondering if any of you know any rare book experts or know of any good ones that I can contact or a group on the web. The book is from the year 1844. It is called: "Perilous adventures or remarkable instances of courage, perseverance, and suffering". By R.A. Davenport. It appears to be a 1st edition book. It has a lot of condition issues to it. The only information I can find on the Internet is reprints/ or downloads of the book.

Interesting fact about this  book: it has pages that were apparently taken out and replaced and I believe this was originally done with the first printing as if the book has misprints and mess ups & rather than reprint the entire book they just replaced those pages. Some of those pages, instead of having numbers, they have letters/numbers on them. Those pages are also a little shorter than the rest. I am guessing that is what they are. I really don't know.  It is just not like any other book I've seen.

I am on my phone posting, so I don't have any photos to post right now. Our computer is messed up right now.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a rare book expert or rare old books forum, I really appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you. :)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
Re: It's been awhile! Hi! Rare Book Question:)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:35:45 am »
P.s. I hope I haven't asked this question before, ha ha. Seeing as though all the stuff I've been through, I can't remember if I had asked a long time ago or not.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:14:45 pm »
Hey there , xmelax38 .... glad to see you still around & kickin' !

You might give a look/try at a Portland , Oregon shop (great reputation , inventory & knowledge base) - Powells .

www.powells.com
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:38 pm »
How did I miss this one ??  Hey there !!  Glad you are back !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice. also thank you for the kind words. Luckily I am still around. My last surgery they were careful & made sure I didn't get anything they gave to me in the one where they almost lost me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:25 pm »
When was your book published ?? What I read said the first edition was published in 1841 !!  They listed a lot of dates as well as an English version !!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:26:15 pm by mart »

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:25:19 am »
try contacting adrian greenwood, haven't got the email to hand, should be an easy google....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:29:03 pm »
Hey xmelax38, so glad to have you back and glad to hear you are faring much better!

Some new resources offered up by the others that I am even going to keep note of!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:21 pm »
Hi! Thank you!

The book is actually 1841 when it was entered into the library of Congress. The actual publishing date is 1844 it is a first edition. I was able to find that much information about it, but that is all. Which also makes me wonder if after it was entered into the Library of Congress, if that is when they added those additional pages into it before a final publishing. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:49:03 pm by xmelax38 »

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »
P.s. I sent a message to Adrian Greenwood. Thank you for the information.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 09:04:40 pm »
After all of that, I just found it after a ton more searching. It is not as rare as I thought & not worth much. I found it on a book site that listed it at 25.00. Well so much for hoping I had something good for once, ha ha.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 10:25:50 pm »
If that is the actual value...then here's hoping you didn't pay more than that for it!  :)

Be interesting to see if you get a reply back that either supports or contradicts that $25 value!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!