Author Topic: Brazil Nuts  (Read 2178 times)

wilhenri

• View Profile
Brazil Nuts
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:26:36 am »
Just out of interest this is a Brazil Nut with the nut seed within. I should imagine these may be common tourist items but I had not see one before. Probably only worth a few Pounds but whoever did it was quite inventive........So mewhere when I can find it I ave one of those balls within balls carved from bone and I think from memory there are 6 or 7 within

I would like to say any items I post are from my own collection not screen shots from the internet what would be the point in that ?  :)
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Brazil Nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »
Wilhenri,

Good afternoon form massachusetts. You have such an artistic eye.  I really enjoy the things you collect.  Do you have any specific collection or do you just purchase anything that hits your fancy?  Do you like things that are tiny?  It seems most of the object you have shared are smaller than a hand and some smaller than a finger.  Have any Larger amazing things to show us?

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:23 pm »
Found this one ... 19th Century Hand Carved Brazil Nut sold July 2014 Price:£29.00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19th-CENTURY-HAND-CARVED-BRAZIL-NUT-POD-ANTIQUE-TREEN-/351100976045?roken=cUgayN&nma=true&si=cgYk7xnWooUBS4sT%252F%252By053HrcTI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and another that looks like your for £18
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4089147

https://www.etsy.com/listing/209492918/brazil-nut-treen?ref=market

Okay this is a bit off the question...but on the subject...someone got artistically flamboyant with their story of a Brazil Nut...if you have time and need a little bit of "nut" humor...it's a fast/cute read!
http://flomentina.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-facebook-papers-brazil-nut.html

If you search under images "Victorian carved Brazil nut" you will get lots of interesting carvings.  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:27:56 am »
Thank you for the compliments Pealady and KC for your research. Generally I buy things that take my fancy and that will hopefully increase or hold their value for when I am older and need to supplement my income or to pass on to my family.  My main interest is Militaria and specifically Firearms and edged weapons which is not surprising as I have a military background and a later civilian aviation career. However after the madman in Dunblane Scotland went on the rampage the law in the UK changed and the ownership of Firearms is now virtually impossible and in Scotland they have even I believe banned the sale of swords. Consequently my not inconsiderable collection of handguns and rifles such as Single Action Colt Peacemakers and Winchester 73s Lugers etc had to be handed in to be melted down. Yes there was compensation but it still hurt. After that i went safe and collected early sewing machines which are tucked away in the loft gathering dust as they are not allowed on display Boo Hoo. Thats when I decided small was better but in time I will fish out some larger objects. Till then one of my cluttered cabinets with the remaining Black Powder guns that we are allowed to own.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:33:46 am by wilhenri »
Mahatma Gandhi

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »
WOW!  What an amazing collection!  You have some amazing powder horns/flasks!
Tell me about the top pistol....

Why did they allow you to keep the powder guns?  Takes longer to load/use?

So sorry to hear you had to melt your firearms.  I have only known of volunteer relinquishment here in the US. 

Hey Mart, can you imagine them making this mandatory here in Texas?  Wow...shudder to think the upheaval in the state.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:00:01 am »
The top pistol is a .36 Colt Navy and yes its just as deadly but the idea is the difficulty in loading etc. You may know those old pieces were not quite as reliable as in the films. If loaded incorrectly all cylinders could go off at the same time. Anyway must dig out something larger for you. I could not imaging gun laws changing in the States.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:38:10 am by wilhenri »
Mahatma Gandhi

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:09:41 am »
The Wife and I went to a open house the other day to look at a home that is on the market. The one thing that impressed me were the built-in gun cases that took up one wall of the family room. ;)