Author Topic: Copper items  (Read 2111 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Copper items
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:14:53 am »
I have a few copper pieces I had out for last season's estate sales. Didn't sell one! I had $5 each on the teakettle and the pair of candle holders and $2 on the mint dish. I thought copper was a hot item. Am I asking too much?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Copper items
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:44:23 pm »
I am shocked they didn't sell!  OR that you didn't at least get an offer if people thought they were too high.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:02:32 am »
It's really getting discouraging having garage sales here in upstate NY. I don't know what people are looking for, but I don't have it, or at the prices that expect at a garage sale venue. When we have our village-wide sale in the spring, I don't even see anyone walk away from neighbor's sales with anything and we're getting about a tenth of the attendees that we had even 10 years ago. Let me tell you - it's a lot of work for maybe 10 people that stop and expect to find a Ming vase for ten cents.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:13:31 am »
I think I have mentioned before,, list on ebay !!  Garage sales will not get the items like this to those who are looking for them,,ebay will !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:56 am »
Like I mentioned before, I don't do eBay (only the local classified eBay). I tried setting up an account once and the first thing they ask for is credit card info. I don't have a CC and even if I did, I wouldn't give out that info.

To think all the places I advertise my garage sales (eBay classifieds, Craig's List, Facebook Online Garage Sale, local paper and regional classified magazine) and list the items for sale, how scare customers are. I guess they must want baby clothes and not Limoges & Noritake china or Depression glass, if they even know what those are.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:33:42 am by debodun »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:38 am »
we're getting about a tenth of the attendees that we had even 10 years ago.

Times change and what worked 10 years ago sometimes no longer does.  Best to change with the times or, settle for lower volume sales.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:48:37 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:38 am »
Like I mentioned before, I don't do eBay (only the local classified eBay). I tried setting up an account once and the first thing they ask for is credit card info. I don't have a CC and even if I did, I wouldn't give out that info.

To think all the places I advertise my garage sales (eBay classifieds, Craig's List, Facebook Online Garage Sale, local paper and regional classified magazine) and list the items for sale, how scare customers are. I guess they must want baby clothes and not Limoges & Noritake china or Depression glass, if they even know what those are.

That's correct but its a simple thing !!  I don`t give CC numbers either so purchased a self loading CC from Wal-Mart, loaded the minimum on it and used it !! $5. for the card !! You need to purchase a new one every few years !! Only thing you need to watch is happy customers, and making sure you leave enough in paypal to cover your ebay fees !!  You will get an email from ebay well ahead of time but its easy to just keep an eye on it from your "My Ebay" 
You will not sell every item starting out but if you deal with people as you would if you had a brick and mortar store. treat people honestly and fairly you can have a good business !!  Other than a roll of bubble wrap and a roll of tape occasionally from the dollar store I don`t even buy packing materials !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:43:46 pm »
One reason for fewer people at garage/estate sales is, i think, it's just easier to buy & sell online. Why drive in a car to a single location to browse when you can just turn on your puter and do the same thing nation wide through photo's and a shipping box? Get with the program Deb and stop being a fuddy duddy, lol :) There is always a way if you really want to do something, you just have to alter your tactics a bit, the game remains the same!

Am I asking too much?
No, the copper tea kettle is probably worth more than $5 in scrap, you are marketing in the wrong location, you gotta go where the people are!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:55:35 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 04:11:46 pm »
And Lord knows as many of us sell on ebay we are always here to help !!  We have an ebay forum !!